Sign in to follow this  
Guest HeliFLYer

Installation CDs are faulty - get replacements?

Guest Chris13

Hi all,I have the german release of Fly!II and installation aborts when installing some of the default hires scenery. I can circumvent the problem by just installing the program files and unchecking all other options. Nevertheless, I don't really know what else I am missing and also, if there is something wrong with the CDs I wonder when the day will come that installation wil be impossible. Is this a known problem and if yes, where did you get replacement CDs from?thanksChris

I don't know about replacement CDs, but if you are speaking of the hi-res sceneries that were added to later release packages (daylight hi-res for San Francisco, NYC, Paris, etc.), they are all available here at Avsim as downloads.If you have further problems with your install CD, we may be able to make contact with TRI and locate a replacement package. I just wouldn't hold out much hope of getting help from the publishers (Take2, etc.).

Randall Rocke

Guest Chris13

Hi Randallthat's what I figured. The only thing I wasn't quite sure of was whether these errors during install are common (at least with the german release version) or whether they are an indication of my CDs deteriorating with age. Some recent tests have shown that depending on the CD material used this process can be frighteningly quick.In this case downloading the hires scenery is not going to remedy this problem. With the prospect of future development for Fly!3 being nil I wouldn't want to loose Fly!2 too soon.Is it common to all (european, german...) CDs or is it just me?Thanks for your helpChris

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Chris,I was one of the first buyers of German FLY!II Version and installed FLY several times since then without any problem, tested it this very evening one again (see bottom of this message). Might be you CD is damaged by a scratch (could be repaired with a special repair-set) or just by (unvisible) dirt.You must have 2 CDs, one named GAME and one SCENERY (on the bottom cover). Have a look at the unprinted side - are there any scratches? or dirt? If you are in doubt whether your CDs are not clean (and partially not readable) I would proceed like that (WITHOUT GARANTY! ITS YOUR RISK NOT MINE! CD could be damaged fully!): use solution for dish rinsing by hand (not mashine!!!) - sorry cannot translate better, if you are a German or understand German "Geschirrsp

Guest Chris13

Hi Georg,many many thanks for your detailed response. It took me a while to actually run through some tests and I have come to the conclusion that something is wrong with CD Number 2 (scenery). I cleaned the CDs the way you described and while I can copy both of them without error, something is wrong with the content. Comparing the two versions of the archive file on CD2, the file size is identical, but the content is different (binary check). I copied the two CDs without error message to the harddrive and tried installing from there. While everything seemed to be going smoothly, Fly!2 crashed upon startup (cannot load texture.ccp). Did it three times, patched and unpatched, same result. I have a working installation from the same set of CDs where I installed the bare minimum (no sceneries, don't remember what else got excluded), so I am sure it is not my PC. There are microscopic scratches on the CDs, not many more than on other CDs of mine that are still perfectly readable though. Nevertheless, I would prefer to be able to install from CD, patch and voila, because I do not know what else was not installed in my attempt to leave out all the potential trouble-makers. I will now try to copy the CDs very at minimum speed maybe this will solve the problem. I'll keep you updated and thanks again Chris (ehemals EDLO)

Guest HeliFLYer

Hello Chris,if your problem is persistent, contact me via AVSIM (I once showed my eMail address here, get a lot of spam mails since then). I am sure there is a solution for you with my help. If there is any delay until you get an answer - my WinXP system crashed actually, have to rebuild it, can only use my daughters PC (if she is generous). Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!Georg (EDDW)