Sign in to follow this  
Guest swathdiver

Layering Shapefiles

Guest swathdiver

Hello Fellas, Learned the hard way and with Randall Rocke's help in setting the correct order when adding Tiger2000 shapefiles, any shapefiles for that matter in Terrascene. The only two that could be switched are the UA and PLC00 files. I opened them in ArcExplorer and flipped them back and forth for the best diversity. Other then that this is the order to layer them in Terrascene. I don't use the WAT files and many times find c,d,e and kgl too small to bother with. Thought I'd share in case some weren't aware. Also to establish a standard as we begin to render the United States, its Territories, and abroad. Any input always appreciated!UAPLCAirOOKGLLPYLKHLKELKDLKCLKBLKAJamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Guest michaelb

James,Just want to say thanks in advance for the work you are doing on updating scenery. One of these days I hope to understand more of the process that you describe, but for now I will look forward to your work as it progresses.Michael Brett

Hi James,Thanks for sharing your approach - it's absolutely important to use the proper order in layering.Personally, I don't have much use for Urban Area shape data over the high-detail USGS unless there are items missing (like the Land-Use data for half of Tampa). Also, if you know of an area that has had a lot of expansion, then the Urban shapes are of some value.With occasional use of the Urban data to fill in gaps, my main use is of major landmarks (LPY), major streets and highways (LKA - as there are many new highways in new areas), and water (WAT) - the water areas are especially important to me, as new lakes are always being built and some old ones are missing in the USGS data.

Randall Rocke

Guest swathdiver

I didn't think of that for the UA files. Florida has tripled in size population and expansion wise since the early 1980s when most of the USGS files were created, it's made a huge difference for this project. Like you said, wouldn't be much value for West Virginia. The LPY and LKH files take the place of WAT files I think. Randy, I made an excel file with the grid squares of my scenery and yours with other tiles outlined for further expansion. Maybe this could be a template for us and others to select areas to Terrascene and share the data? What do you and everyone else think?JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

James,I am unable to read anything from your posted attachment - why don't you just send it via e-mail in the normal fashion and I'll take a look at what you've put together.

Randall Rocke

Guest swathdiver

Convert it to .xls format, microsoft excel. I'll e-mail it too. It's not set in stone, just a beginning for us to work with. I'd like to somehow (probably with the yellow postits) identify which tiles have terramodels airports on them by Wayne and others.JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!