Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Randall Getting errors in Terrascene Grand Canyon

Guest pilotsim7828

Well Randall , Went to another Hard Drive to use your suggestions.Things were installed correctly on this old drive and rendered it again, Everything hunky doryBut I see little change , the only thing i did`nt have is the Downloaded DEMwhich I have , Just dont know where to put them to install from the treePics Jeffhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewja.jpg

Jeff,TerraScene can only import the DEM data if it's placed in the USGS subfolder - it does this automatically from the USGS site. TS should already have used this data if you selected generate elevation mesh and Use USGS Data The manually added folder is for shapefiles only.If you did indeed use the USGS DEM data, you've apparently done the best that the elevation resolution will allow - as you cannot see much more detail, there must not be much change beyond 500' intervals in the dataset. The scenery looks pretty good - it appears the only way you could make it better would be to edit the elevations manually or convert higher res elevation data and import it through the Fly! Editor.

Randall Rocke

Jeff,I'm afraid I haven't developed the skills or had the time to experiment with advanced elevation editing and importing. There are certainly others around the forum that have and may be able to help you. I'm going to recommend a few items for future study and experimentation, but first, give Terrascene's capabilities for DEM importation one more try: bump the subdivide density up to 8 and drop the subdivide tolerance down to 50. This is about as far as you would want to go and it might create frame-rate problems or require a special render.ini file.A few comments for perspective:1. Manual editing of elevations is extremely complex - you wouldn't want to try it on anything much bigger than an airport. The Flattenator program was designed for this very purpose and has a big learning curve - people find it takes a lot of time just to do a small area, but it's worh it when you need to have a level airport environment.2. The 1-degree DEMs are pretty hard to beat until we can possibly get new data from NASA in the future. People in other areas of the world that do not have this type of data available have to make do with different data and techniques and usually at lower resolution. One way around this might be to use a DTED0 Converter such as the one David Haynes made available for Fly!/Fly!2K - it may be useable for Fly!II. Basically, it allowed you to take 30 arc-second DTED0 data which has a resolution of about 3000' and "interpolate it" down to as much as 1:16, giving an effective resolution of about 190'...might be fun stuff to play around with. :-)

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

O.K Thanks for the help anyway,I beat you to the subdivide 8tolorence down to 50It seems like some kid colored on my terrascene filesfunny looking colors that show up , The reason ...I have no idea I did find out that this is over 989 MB in size& the lake at the end of the runway I have never seen the Lake beforePICS BELOW And the last picture is the color and texture that I would like to havehttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewja.jpg

Looks like those settings weren't compatible with the data. Watch out for your changes in the Advanced settings - those settings in TS are "sticky settings". They won't change now until you go back in and set them back to the "normal" levels.As far as getting those "textures" in your pictures, you'll never match that exactly unless you were to create new textures from scratch. I adapted some of the beautiful desert, scrub, and rock textures from Todd by simply adding a layer of color that matched exactly the Red Rock/Sedona areas of Arizona (I sampled the color from my own digitized photographs). From what I've seen of images from the Grand Canyon, those colors are the same as the Sedona area.The colors in your image look unnatural and purplish, which tells me that the image was either shot at sunset with the extreme angle creating the color change, or edited into the image. Do you have actual photographs (high resolution) that show the standard daylight colors of the canyon? There may be more purple in the colors of the canyon than Sedona's - if that were the case and there were better images available which I could sample, then a separate "updated" color set might be made. I would be happy to try this, but it would have to be months from now because of my work schedule.

Randall Rocke

Jeff,They look great! What did you use for your final settings?As far as your images go, why don't you pick the best one or two that really show off the colors you want, convert them to JPEG at the highest resolution, and send them to me:capvideo@columbus.rr.com

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

Hello Randall;Thanks for the compliment, But that is the best I could doYour better at it than meAnyway I turned off Anti-AllaisingAlso turned off 3DGenerate WaterUsed your dry woody scrub sedona texturesDid not touch the Advanced box controls at all , Just left them the same I will get the pics done and sent tommorrow, Thanks for your helpJeffhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewja.jpg