Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

System requirements

Guest Qdog

Hi all, I am currently looking to purchase a new computer. My old computer is 8 yrs old and it`s about that time. So,what I am seeking is some feedback on what I should get. The 2 "sure" things are that it is going to be a Dell and cost is not a problem. So can anyone give me some info on what I will need to make sure FlyII runs smooth with no stutters and will be capable of handling any new add-ons? Thanks people.Qdog

Guest tonyc

FLy2 will run great with a good fx5700 card or ATI 9800 and a cpu at 3000 mhz. Prices for fast cpus are way down; the good video cards are what brings up the cost of a computer these days. Stay away from proprietary and mx.... video cards. Also, if you can get a 256 meg card, the better. tonyPs. My system has an amd 3000mhz and an fx5600 256 meg card. 1 meg of ram .

Hi Qdog,You've been around long enough to know better than to ask this question. :-) Even the CIA, with all their computing power, couldn't run Fly! II (or the other sim for that matter :-) ) without stutters :-lolIf you get a computer with the fastest CPU ( 3 Gb + )you can afford, as much fast ram as your new motherboard can accept and then add the very latest in high end video cards (again with as much ram as possible - 256Mb min. more if you can get it) Then you WILL be able to really enjoy a smooth session with Fly! II.BUT!! It will still be brought to it's knees if you overload it with work ( Scenery,models,weather,AI etc) When Fly! II was released it was so far ahead of the hardware it wasn't funny. Hardware has gone ahead in leaps and bounds but so has the demands of the add-ons.My system, which I would describe as mid-range, is:-AMD 2400512 Mb DDR ramAlbatron FX-5900 128 Mb video cardand whilst I can, if I want, unload the demands on the system and fly with frame rates of 100+ FPS and as smooth as, a more realistic figure with scenery, models, weather and visual settings is about 30-40 FPS. But!! I can still bring it to it's knees if I ask too much of it.HHmmm money no object! I'd say "luckydog" not "Qdog" :-lol Get your new system and you will really enjoy Fly!II :-jumpyCheers,Roger

Guest Qdog

Thanks guys for the information. I am currently looking at the Dell XPS Gen 4 systems with the Geforce 6800 video card. Can anyone tell me what is and what advantages dual channel DDR2 ram is? Thanks againQdog

Guest tonyc

speed. ddr2 has been around for a while, and for Dell it's now a selling point. ddr2 refers to memory speed, and it works only with motherboards that can run it. but ,as always, the speed advantages are always less than advertised. with Fly2 you wouln't know the difference.tony