Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fly II Pilot

Announcing : Fly! Wiki Web

Guest Chris Wallace

Good day all,I'd like to invite you to visit, and contribute to, a new Wiki web site devoted to the Fly! series. What is a Wiki? "Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create and edit Web page content using any Web browser. Wiki supports hyperlinks and has a simple text syntax for creating new pages and crosslinks between internal pages on the fly." (wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki)Open, public forums like this one are great for asking questions and sharing information, but message threads tend to be transient, and even with a good search engine, information tends to get lost over time. A Wiki site does not have the kind of dynamic interaction you see here, but it attempts to organize and preserve information in a much more permanent way. And the best thing (from my point of view) is that once set up, there is very low maintenance burden on the owner since the content is provided by YOU, the user community. I have been adding some technical design information that I've gathered over the years, but there is ample opportunity for EVERYBODY to contribute something. Check it out, and feel free to create an account and start adding whatever content you think is relevant. Don't be shy -- there is no need to ask permission or seek approval for anything you add. Others may correct or add to what you say, or I may make some editing changes if necessary, but the whole idea is that the Wiki is an open communication forum.The URL is: http://flylegacy.dyndns.org/twiki/bin/viewIf you are new to Wiki's in general, or to the Twiki software that drives the site, check out the "TWiki" section for documentation. The "Sandbox" section is meant as a garbage area to experiment, and the "Fly" section is of course the Fly! repository. The "Main" section is mostly site administration stuff, you probably won't need to worry about that too much.Have a look, please be patient if the site is slow, or down from time to time, it is just running on one of my personal machines and I'm not always around to keep an eye on it.Enjoy...Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Chris,THIS is a GREAT IDEA and I like all Wiki stuff - I am a regular user of the German Wikipedia.We could save much time we loose now searching the Forum (.. and not finding so easily what we ask for) if we collect all that technical info and other stuff on the FLY! wiki.I promise to contribute but first have to make familiar with the site.Thank you very much!RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW

Guest Fly II Pilot

Chris,Ever since Flydevelopers went down, I started to realize how much we needed such a site. I'm partly guilty for not having contributed to Flydevelopers as much as I should have. I promise that I'll contribute this time.Thanks again!http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest laurentC

Nice idea ... Another brick in the Fly! survival wall ... thanks Chris.BTW, I tested some post and it's really easy after you get used to ...Need some more experiments before I dare to post to the main repository, eh, eh !Cheers,laurentC (rotw)

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!I posted two pictures I took in my travels, something I never figured out how to do in Avsim. I'm trying to figure out how to combine multiple images in a single upload. If I can do it, anyone can!!!Thanx Chris!!!:-wave

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!My "Colorado Adventure" is in the sandbox still 'cuz I'm not sure where files like that should go. I got your e-mail about linking to an existing page in FLY web but none of the categories seem apropriate. Any suggestions? It's VERY easy to imbed a storyline into pictures with Wicki Web! I love it already but I am waiting to post remaining bugs in FLY 2 till I see if the ROTW DVD fixes any more.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest Chris Wallace

Just an idea, but I was thinking that the UserCommunity page would be a good place to put stuff like this. Just create a new page, something like UserAdventures, or AdventureStories, or FlightReports, whatever, then add the link to your ColoradoAdventure from there. Others could then add their stories by just editing the top-level page.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Chris:I called it "tell your adventures". I am not sure how easy I made it for others to add there or if it's a new page. Now that I am getting the hang of it I turned to something more serious. I added a topic for bugs for each default aircraft plus the Seneca and started lists. I used FLY 2 flyable aircraft names minus "TRI" for example SaharaBugs. A few have no details yet, I put "placesaver" in those cases under the titles. There are also topics for GpsBugs and one other I forget right now. All currently reside in the Sandbox till I get some input as to best place for them. I know there are placeholder names for aircraft but I hesitate to clutter up the Fly 2 Flyable aircraft pages too much. You can move them if you get the urge, otherwise just tell me where to shove them. oops, up too late!!!:-wave http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/107297.jpgFigured out how to do it here too!!!

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Don,I read your adventure, like things like this very much!Thanks for showing us what is possible with FLY! wiki.I have to do some sandbox tests this weekend.RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Glad you enjoyed it, I was practicing to transfer my "BUG lists" to wicki. Right now you can find them all by searching sandbox with "BUG". Not all aircraft have entries yet and of course you are free to comment or add more or propose fix/workaround. I had the Bell 407 up for twenty minutes yesterday, I was hovering pretty good but I have trouble when reentering ground effect after leaving it.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Donny,I don't know how familiar with choppers you are but it will be one of my first tasks with the FLY! wiki to give some hints how to FLY! the helo(s) in the sim (for the interested FLY!ers).I have just practised with the wiki sandbox and I hope that I can handle that stuff.It is some sort of LINUX derivation and these people HATE if it is too simple to handle. For 10 minutes I was logged in as FLYII pilot (Alejandro) and could edit his features (what I did not do) but was NOT able to do some work with the sandbox, then suddenly - without changing anything - my real identity was shown up. STRANGE!Nevertheless, I think this wiki is a GREAT improvement for changing infos.RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW

Guest Chris Wallace

That does sound strange...not sure what you mean about editing Alex's features...do you mean his user page? He hasn't protected it so anybody can write to it. If you mean pages that he has created, the whole point of the Wiki is that all the content is open and editable by everyone. If you think there really is a problem send me an e-mail and I'll check into it.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Even after I log in if I click on "my home Page" I wind up on Alex's.I am not very familiar with choppers, a tutorial would be good. I made "FlyTwoBugs" the parent topic for all bug lists like GpsBugs and KodiakBugs. I tried to post a shortcut to it on the same page as "FlyTwoFlyableAircraft" and "FlyTwoIniSettings" but it didn't work out. The wickiword "FlyTwoBugs" appeared but not as a link. What did I do wrong? All the "children" are still in the sandbox.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest Chris Wallace

>Even after I log in if I click on "my home Page" I wind up on>Alex's.Ahhh...right. That doesn't mean you're logged on as Alex, I think Alex just modified the "generic" left menu bar to link to his page. I've removed this now. I am still learning this system too, so there are bound to be a few glitches from time to time. User identification and authentication with the site is a bit confusing, I admit I'm still trying to get it figured out.>"FlyTwoBugs" appeared but not as a link. What did I do wrong?>All the "children" are still in the sandbox.Dunno, it worked fine for me...I just added: * FlyTwoBugs, a reference for bugs in Fly! IIand it linked to your page fine.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada