Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

Installing scenery

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!After unzipping scenery files the readme says to place a .scf file. I don't see it anywhere on multiple scenery files. Also do I have to create a folder or just place a pod? Wayne just says to copy the .pod and .scf files into fly2scenery. Everyone else says create a folder.Thanx, I'm just starting with this,:-wave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Don,1.1All PODs which have a *.scf-file (scenery describing file) my be placed just into "scenery" or you create a subfolder for your own comfort like "usa", "france", "austria", "germany", "my_own" ..FLY! will scan the scenery folder AND the subfolders for all files.1.2PODs without a *.scf file must be placed in the scenery/shared folder. But don't do this with normal scenery as it will influence negative FLY!s performance2.1*.SCF Files>>> Please note: these menue bar expressions are all translated from German to English. These explanations might be better done by someone using an English version, but as nobody answered until now I will try to help you. It might not fit for your Win XP. AND I did all this a LONG time ago. I hope I remember right what I did that time ...Normally WINDOWS sees *.scf files as some sort of WIN system files. You have to teach WIN (XP) not to hide these files.But in short: Open any folder, then click "Extras" on the right menue bar, then click "folder options", then you will see 3 options " common - view -file types".Use ***"view"*** first and check- "save view options for every folder"- [hidden files and folders] - "show all files and folders" uncheck- "hide extensions from known filetypes"- "hide protected system files (recommended)"Then use ***"file types"*** and look for the *.scf extension.Delete it.Use "new" and type "SCF".Use "extended" and combine it with "text document"That's all. Now you should see the *.scf files. And you can open them with notepad or a texteditor if you are curious about the content.RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Thanx for your help. What got me confused was that every scenery I downloaded said to place the .scf file in the scenery folder but I didn't see any files marked .SCF. I use ME, not XP and I don't see the "extras" when I right click on an open folder. You're right, EVERY scenery folder had something called a "windows command." Also all the ROTW scenery folders too. I'm not sure what to do now, but maybe this explains why I just got ONE fps on approach to Paris De Gualle. Does anyone know how to make .SCF files appear in Windows ME?P.S. I would like Jan's aircraft carrier. I'll e-mail you if you're enabled.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Hi Don,I fired my old Notebook with ***Win98 SE*** and your Win ME might be similar:There is a little difference to WinXP:- open a folder- go to the folder MENUE BAR- the third entry from left is "view"- click "view"- the last option of the new menue is "folder option"- click "folder options"- then you'll find "common info, view, filetypes"- then you go on as descriped in my first post.RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Things are worded a bit differently. I checked "remember each folder's view settings, but should I have activated "set all folders to the same view?" up top? Also can I recheck "hide protected system folders now? I couldn't find .scf so I just went to "new". (Maybe it's cuz I have folders set to HTML specs, I can't remember.) I was told this type of extension was associated w/windows command and promted if I wanted to change it. I did and now all the ROTW "windows command" icons in my scenery folder are seen as text documents. Now I can try installing the Alaska scenery and check out some of Wayne's world. I haven't tried flying yet but it looks like you got me on the right track. Did you see the thread "a few more questions" in ROTW English DVD? You seem good at translating "computerspeak" into english, could you tell me how to use "voledit" to open up a runway pod that has a PAPI, see the runway lighting settings, covert it to a .Dex file and import it so runway 36 at LFNJ can have a PAPI? (Thats the visual landing aid w/ 4 lights side by side.)http://www.simvol.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=38Thanx a lot!!!:-wave

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!I am in the middle of installing EVERY Wayne Roberts airport for Alaska. I found I should EITHER download the Alaska Taxiways pod OR place certain files in the "data" folder. I can't find the file ID 33619 in the library. I tried searching for Alaska Taxiways pod to no avail. Anybody know where it is? Once I install it, do I have to get rid of all the files I put in the data folder? That would be a tough search.I have an idea: I am organising scenery by region. I have Southeast Alaska and Aluetions elevations and EVERY airport available in Alaska so far in a single folder in my unzipped folder. If someone can tell me how I can create extensions so .pod and .scf files are extracted to scenery and .tbm and other files go to data automatically. I could then burn and distribute auto-executable scenery DVDs for the cost of shipping and blank DVD. I have access to broadband and time on my hands, anybody interested?Best Regards, Donny

Donny,Modern Windows versions make the SCF suffix dissappear from Fly! Scenery Files (SCF files), identifying them improperly as Windows Command files. They still function properly.Just copy or move all of the so-called "Command Files" into the scenery folder with its accompanying pod. Foe instance, a file called TMCHS (the scf file, identified as a 1 KB Windows Command file) should be moved to the scenery folder with TMCHS.POD. Your scenery will now load.If you want to have the file extension show normally, just go to the folder options of any folder and create the file type SCF as a 'text document". They will then show properly from then on and instantly open with notepad if you want to see the contents.I also recommend using subfolders to keep everything in order. I have folders for countries, and where appropriate, subfolders within them for provinces, states, etc.

Donny,You may be referring to Taxiways for Alaska, ID 40907. Here's the download link: http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=40907Also, if you have some identical taxiway files in both the POD and the DATA folder, you may have conflicts. Yes, you would need to remove any individual taxiway sets from the data folder that were also in the pod.

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Thanx. I just landed at Yakutuk (PAY), no taxiways. Looks like I've got some more work to do. Good thing I wrote down the file names to make them easier to identify. I heard a new .Pod for alaska was coming, is your link it? Wayne said in a readme the old pod would have to go when the new one was released. Maybe ROTW included the taxiway pod in the DVD, I have to check.The ILS on EFIS planes now has the wrong runway heading. Didn't do any test with standard instruments. Maybe the new database is corrupted??? Best regards, Donny:-wave

Donny,I'm not familiar with PAY, but would be happy to check it out for you later this weekend. Which runway do you believe to have the mis-assigned localizer? What does the "Details" window for that airport show as the assigned runway? What to the Approach Plates say the assignments should be?This is another item, if incorrect, that would have to be adjusted or repaired within the database.