Sign in to follow this  
Guest mapman

Arizona Terra Scenes

Guest mapman

Howdy,I downloaded and Rendered the Sedona Terra Scene and Wow!!! Talk about beutiful!! (Took a longgggg time to slice though...and that on my AMD 3000+ with 512 Ram).I also noticed and downloaded a Terra Scene project for the Grand Canyon. I have not done any rendering yet, and was wondering if these two complement each other or if the Grand Canyon one just redoes what the Sedona one did.If you have installed these, or authored them, please advise.Thank you,Marc

Marc,I am not aware of the exact coverage by the Grand Canyon author. If they created the project to contain only the global tiles that include the Grand Canyon, then they should not interfere with the loading of the Sedona scenery.The Sedona scenery covers the global tile :176,154. Any other scenery produced properly on the global tile borders will join right up with it.Author: Sedona, Phoenix, Carolinas, Ohio, and other TrerraScene projects.

Randall Rocke

Guest mapman

>Marc,>>I am not aware of the exact coverage by the Grand Canyon>author. If they created the project to contain only the global>tiles that include the Grand Canyon, then they should not>interfere with the loading of the Sedona scenery.>>The Sedona scenery covers the global tile :176,154. Any other>scenery produced properly on the global tile borders will join>right up with it.>>Author: Sedona, Phoenix, Carolinas, Ohio, and other>TrerraScene projects.Thanks!!If there is any overlap, would that be ok?Sedona was my first TerraScene Render. Is it ok to delete the files in the Output directory after it is done?Have you given any thought to doing a Yosemite project, complete with waterfalls and shear cliff faces (hint, hint)?Marc

1. When a project is created exactly on globe tile grids, there is an automatic overlap (small), which is a load parameter. There must be a slight overlap so that there are no gaps - if the adjoining scenery goes well past the globe tile border though, you'll have problems. If both sceneries "claim" an identical tile, one will not load, mattering on which direction you're approaching.2. Yes - once the scenery is complete, delete all the image files in the output folder, or soon you won't have any space on your HD. :-)3. Haven't thought of Yosemite, though it may be a fun thing to do down the road. TerraScene, in its current configuration, wouldn't allow us to do waterfalls the way we'd like, but sheer faces that were big enough would be resolved by the USGS elevations data. Water that existed in the drainage data would show on those faces as water texture.My biggest concern right now is the USGS removal of the data files that are needed by TerraScene. This is just around the corner, so I'm trying to find a way to download all the files and save them for future scenery-making.

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz

Randall,How do you save usgs files and how do you make the .trp file. I did use your sedona terrascene and replace some of the texture with HITW new grand canyon texture.thankschris_CA

Guest mapman

I did a little homework and opened up the TSP files and found the following so it appears there is no overlap:Grand CanyonProj.bounds.geoHeight=252697.45336203405Proj.bounds.geoWidth=252697.45336203405Proj.bounds.lowerLeft.latitude=35.5675Proj.bounds.lowerLeft.longitude=-113.2131Proj.bounds.upperRight.latitude=36.7314Proj.bounds.upperRight.longitude=-110.3806SedonaProj.bounds.geoHeight=129128.21043847346Proj.bounds.geoWidth=129128.21043847346Proj.bounds.lowerLeft.latitude=34.4075Proj.bounds.lowerLeft.longitude=-112.51Proj.bounds.upperRight.latitude=35.5875Proj.bounds.upperRight.longitude=-111.0836On the subject of Yosemite, Colin was kind enough to use his FlyMesh program to render the heights, but they are all covered with trees...LOL.Now we just need to show the granite terrain that makes it so spectacular.Thanks again,Marc

Chris,Saving the USGS files is simply a matter of downloading all of the USGS data to your local HD and/or chosen media. There's a lot of it, but it's about to be gone forever, so I'm trying to get it all. I'm using an FTP client to download the data. I figure that I'll continue making new TS in the future as render packs and include the appropriate files in the same way that I have in the past. That way, people will should still be able to render, even though the online data is gone.Todd designed TS so that you could easily designate the location of the data. TS points to the USGS locations as a default, but once I have the files stored locally, I'll simply change the pointers to the new locations and continue to render and slice scenery. Todd set all of that up under Advanced Options, Auto Download. I just completed the download of all DEM250 files. The DEM75 files are still available at wingswithwires, so they're not a problem. That leaves two sets to go, the DLG and LULC data, then I've got it all.As far as the TRP file, that's made when you create and save a new Render Options pack. Simply create a pack and file name for the new pack after opening an existing set (such as the base textures). Then, edit the textures and choose your new pack to save them in.

Randall Rocke

Reassign a granite texture for those areas and save it as a new Render Options Pack. If that ends up removing trees from some areas where you need them, use Colin's TerraShape to designate some specific shapefile areas for granite textures to be assigned.

Randall Rocke

Guest mapman

I will have to play arround with that as my first project Randal...hope it is not too ambitious.Why is the USGS removing their data? Are they the only ones who provide that kind of information?Thanks,Marc

As I understand it, they're updating to new data from NASA. I'm sure this is wonderful info and much more accurate than the old. The new information is in a different format, different resolution etc., so it will not be compatible with the current Terrascene.However, let's hope that someone in our talented group, along with Todd Klaus, if he's willing, can find a way to make the new data compatible.

Randall Rocke