Sign in to follow this  
Guest paradoxbox

The Pilatus PC-12 is a BIG aircraft.

Guest paradoxbox

I was walking around in Richmond (BC) the other day, near my university. For those that don't know, Vancouver International Airport is in Richmond BC. My university happens to be right underneath the approach path for arrivals.So as I was strolling along the road, I hear a turboprop coming in for approach. I always stop to look at what's coming in, I never get tired of seeing planes land. What I saw though was amazing- a PC-12 in all its glory. And let me tell you, this is one BIG plane. I see at least 20 Beechcraft B200's and B350's every day. This thing was at least their size. To be honest it looked a LOT bigger than the Beechcraft are.Isn't it surprising that given the choice, I'd rather fly the PC-12 than the B200 in Fly!II for most flights. It's such a nice plane and I'm falling in love with it all over again.Anyone else like this bird?

G'day Cory,> And let me tell you,>this is one BIG plane. I see at least 20 Beechcraft B200's and>B350's every day. This thing was at least their size. To be>honest it looked a LOT bigger than the Beechcraft are.It's strange that you make this post. Only the other day I saw a picture of a PC-12 in an aircraft magazine and the first impression I had was the same. Wow this is one heck of a mother of an aircraft. I have never seen a PC-12 in the flesh and I was surprised by the size of the aircraft. The sim is actually quite deceptive; it doesn't really convey the size as you don't have the real world to compare it with. >Isn't it surprising that given the choice, I'd rather fly the>PC-12 than the B200 in Fly!II for most flights. It's such a>nice plane and I'm falling in love with it all over again.>>Anyone else like this bird?There must be quite a few PC-12 lovers out in sim world as it was one of the most requested aircraft to be included in Fly! II.TRI did a really nice job of simulating the PC-12 into Fly! II. Within Fly! II I enjoy flying them both and not being a RW pilot can't really differentiate the subtle differences. I have no definite favourite. The Pilatus marketing guru's have definitely got the King Air well and truly in their sights, suggesting the PC-12 as an alternative. But the pitch is all $$$$$ based.However, as a passenger in the real world, and comming from a background of aircraft maintenance, I follow the philosophy of :-the more the merrier1 engine is GOOD2 engines is BETTER3 or more engines is BEST I like it when the Captain says "shut down #6 engine", and the Co-pilot replies "which side sir?" :-lolCheers,Roger

Guest paradoxbox

I definately understand where you're coming from on that one Roger!However, I do recall reading somewhere that the Pilatus engineers did a ton of researched and eventually decided the risk of losing a PT6A engine was so minimal, that it was better to scrap the second engine from the design and only use one. This of course increased the payload and decreased the operating costs significantly. Add to that the fact that pilatus added the 'manual override' lever to counter the only 'regular' failure in the pt6a, and you've got yourself a real nice aircraft.I did some investigating, it turns out the PC12 fuselage is actually 6cm LONGER and 6inches WIDER than the Kingair B200! Amazing. It certainly is a large aircraft. Even more amazing is its takeoff and landing capabilities. Last night I took a VERY heavy PC12 at around 8000lbs and landed it on a strip about 2600feet long, with plenty of room to spare. Didn't even need to use beta thrust (Though the brakes are probably wishing me ill). Took off from the very same runway AND cleared 50 foot obstacle and 200 foot mountain directly ahead of the runway. Didn't need to overtorque or anything. Absolutely incredible. If I ever get rich, I'm buying one of these!Only thing it can't do is steep descents at cruise power, something I love about the TBM Socata. You can set the torque to 40.0 in the TBM and descend at 2k FPM without overspeeding. Probably tear the wings off in the Pilatus if I tried that. Still, such a wonderful plane.

Guest dajackman

I really like the Pilatus, however haven't spent much time in her. Maybe I should. My problem is I love the Piper Seneca so much thats all I fly nowadays.I do like that cockpit of the Pilatus, feels like you are sitting in a sports car!

Guest swathdiver

I'm a PC12 lover too. Just spent a week down in Marathon, resort was near the approach to the airport. Heard a turbo prop, looked up and saw a PC12 fly by on approach. Next day drove by the airport on the way to dinner and yes, she does look bigger then a King Air. Too bad I don't have the know how or time, I'd love to update/complete the detailed cockpit/systems and rejuvinate her for Fly! JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Guest Skyhawk99J

I work right next to Jeffco Airport in Broomfield, CO (near Denver) which is the location of the final assembly for the Pilatus PC-12. There are always several on the ramp and I watch them land every day. In fact, I just came in from lunch outside and watched several come in. The thing I love about them is they land so slow for their size. They don't land much faster than the 172 that I fly! They often come in at about 85 knots and I believe they can slow down more than that if they want to. The PC-12 is definitely my dream plane and I love being able to see them so often, up close. I've tried several times to get a job at the Pilatus office, but haven't made it yet.Dan LarsonJeffco Airport, CO (KBJC)2004 Skyhawk SP (N2099J)

Guest Biba Salser

Yes it is a big one, wonderful.

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Yep, if finances weren't a factor and I could have any bird for my personal use, I'd pick the PCXII. The Avanti would be second. But back to reality, last I remember, the maximum stall speed for singles certified for use in the USA is 61 knots. That would be at full gross weight if I'm not mistaken. So your suspicions about my favorite bird being able to do better on aproach than 85 knots are undoubtably correct. Especially since "form drag" as from a sharply swept wing isn't as much of an issue and the power reserves she has.Best Regards, Donny:-wave