Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3cffts

F16 control response at < 150kts

Guest 3cffts

Is it possible to change control response at slower speeds without making any change at high speed? The F16 is a great aircraft to fly, but I find that on approach, when 'on-speed', it is difficult to gain height because the nose cannot be raised higher. In fact it is not sufficiently responsive in either pitch or roll..... a real problem in landing with one mile viz! Does anyone have a solution for this?Brian

G'day Brian,Typically control response is determined by tables that create a lift coeffient verses angle of control surface deflection, acting on a moment arm from the control surface to the centre of gravity. If you play around with these values in the *.wng file you might be able to get what you are after. No simple solutions I'm afraid.Cheers,Roger

Guest 3cffts

Hi Roger,That is great! I increased stabilizer efficiency by 40% and it makes sufficient improvement. It trims up quite well on-speed at 105-110 kts. Quite a bit of throttle control needed to maintain speed.It was not possible to make major changes without affecting supersonic flight ... the Fly II internal computations appear to get too high for the instrumentation to cope ... not exactly out of control, but some wild instrument readings and screen display!Brian.

G'day Brian,>It trims up quite well on-speed at 105-110 kts. Quite a bit of >throttle control needed to maintain speed.Sounds reasonable to me.Do you have any flap selected at 105=110 kts. I can tell you that with a B707 once the flaps were deployed to landing configuration that a lot of power was required to overcome the drag and maintain airspeed. Even if you remove flap from the equation, at low speeds ie. high angles of attack, total drag is quite high.Cheers,Roger

Guest 3cffts

Roger,It is not a lot of throttle that is needed but many, many power changes. Even with speedbrakes open the throttle is almost at idle and very small power changes will change speed too much. I suspect that in fact Fly! advances power in steps, just as trim changes in steps. When the throttle is increased sufficiently to advance power one step, that is a touch too much and speed gets a bit higher than needed .... but by jockeying power speed can be maintained close enough. With the Sahara and Kodiak power control is just fine.For some reason, the Fly!II F-16 does not have flaps installed. It might be that because of the F16 high speed performance, the sim cannot process such high numbers. I will try installing flaps and see if it is possible. However, flaps are certainly NOT needed to get sufficiently low approach speeds. I don't know exactly what the approach speed is of the real F-16 but I would think it is more than the 105-108 kts that I have in the sim.Brian.