Sign in to follow this  
Guest chezz_CA

sketchup

Guest chezz_CA

There are tons of free available 3d models made from google sketchup, my question is can they be ported to fly2 using flygraphics? Any thoughts on this?thankschris_CA

G'day Chris,No mate. Flygraphics is only a graphics format converter. If you look lower down in the forum though you will see that Didier has made a brilliant plug-in for sketchup that will produce an *.smf file that can then be imported into Fly! II via the scenery editor. If you are unsure of what needs to be done to get the model recognised by the scenery editor then download a file of bridge models that I uploaded to the library some time back and see what I did. Basically you have to creat an *.mlf file. It's not that hard. Give it a go!Hope to see you upload to the library in the near future.Cheers,Roger

Chris,Just note you have to create your own texture as smf files only accept one image texture file. May be the only hard work to use all these free models.DidierROTW team

Guest chezz_CA

Hi Roger and Didier,This is actually what I'm trying to know using didier utility/plugin for sketchup. If i download a free model open it with sketchup convert to .smf file then use flygraphics/scenery editor to import it to fly2. I have not tried it yet but I was toying about the idea. I don't know if that is that easy, maybe didier can do a tutorial on this if this is possible, and I sure tons of new models can be added to fly2 scenery.thankschris_CA

G'day Didier,You have just confused me. Doesn't your plugin create the texture file for the *.smf model from all the individual texture files used to texture the model in sketchup??Cheers,Roger

>G'day Didier,>>You have just confused me. Doesn't your plugin create the>texture file for the *.smf model from all the individual>texture files used to texture the model in sketchup??>>Cheers,>RogerMy plugin just extract geometry but not texture. And I have no time know to try it.Sorry DidierROTW team

G'day Chris,If you've been following this thread then you can see that you have a problem getting the texture for the *.smf model. If you are really interested in having a go at modelling then Caligari currently have Truespace 5.2 on special at only US$39.95 I can't guarantee that Chris Wallace's 3DS to s3D converter works for TS 5.2 but it works for 3.2 and 4.3 so I think it will.What file format are the Google Sketchup free models. You may be able to load them straight into Truespace if you are lucky. They may however need retexturing with *.tga files.Cheers,Roger