Sign in to follow this  
Guest Prion67

Fly!2 Disk #2 is corrupt

Guest Prion67

Hi allI have recently tried to re-install the beloved Fly!2 only to find out that installation will fail upon inserting CD #2. There seems to be a single compressend archive on it called cab2.zip or something similar but I cannot open nor install it. I know I am asking a lot here but if anybody could upload this file somewhere for me I would be very grateful indeed.Prion

G'day Prion, You are a little vague in describing exactly what you did and what the exact error message was? I assume you are referring to the European release??? The installation of CD disk 2 is automatically called for during installation of Fly! II Only 3 weeks ago I purchased the ROTW 2 DVD Fly! II addon disks and did a complete re-installation of Fly! II plus the ROTW DVD's with no problems whatsoever but I can remember the hassles I had installing the original and subsequent patches many years ago.. I have since updated my computer several times. Apart from the obvious - making sure that the CD is clean - if you have enough space on your hard drive try copying the entire installation CD's to your hard drive and installing Fly! II from your hard drive. This may help you. Many people had problems in the past related to installing and patching due to the very large file sizes involved. Hope the above helps - if not get back to the forum with a detailed description of what you are doing and any related error messages.Cheers,Roger

Guest Prion67

Hi Rogerthere is no error message, the installation just hangs at 70 or so per cent. Forever and repeatably so. Something is damaged in the file itself because I can view it in the explorer but cannot extract it (it is a zip archive). This I did only to see whether the file appears to be intact. If no one can provide me with this file I will proceed to install only the European scenery files on the ROTW DVDs. I purchased them, too, and it was during the necessary clean install that this error cropped up. I have refrained from proceeding further so far because I am unsure if I can add the original Fly sceneries after installing all the ROTW goodness.PrionPS: European release it is, you are correct, Sir!

G'day Prion,OK , I'm with you now. Firstly did you try copying the Fly! II cd's to your hard drive and installing from the hard drive.??? I'm not certain that the problem is your scenery disk. I tried to have a look at mine and like you I couldn't open it. I kept getting an error message saying that the file DATA2.cab was a non standard format. I also note that the single cab file is 662 MB. That's one heck of a size! (at least for older hardware) I'm not convinced yet that your disk is corrupted. How do you corrupt a read only CD file? If there is no physical damage to the disk then I wouldn't write it off at this stage. Do you have more than one CD/DVD player. If so try installing from the other CD player, better yet copy the Fly! II CD's to your hard drive and install from there.Did you shut down ALL background TSR's. virus checkers etc.? Especially Nortons which can be a real pain in the neck. Also try disabling sound in windows. Having music blaring during installation may not be helping.Quote straight out of the manual!"When the program asks for CD 2, remove the first CD and place the second distribution CD in the drive. Give the CD 10 or 15 seconds to "spin up" and then press the continue button. If dialogue asks you to put CD 2 in the drive again, wait a few more seconds and hit the continue button. On some CD ROM drives it takes a bit longer for the computer to see the second CD in the drive".During installation does the program actually recognise the scenery disk and start loading scenery? If not then the above may be of assistance.Cheers,Roger

Guest Prion67

Hi RogerI had assumed that I should be able to open it but if you can't then this may not be a good indicator if the file is corrupt or not. The fact that the installation hangs may be one but I will try copying the disk on another computer as you suggest, this has helped me in similar situations. All the above is very helpful indeed, thanks for that. Unfotunately I won't be near my gaming rig until the end of next week but I will let you know how it played out.Prion