Sign in to follow this  
Guest product

10.2.3 Update- Any Problems?

Guest product

Hi All,I'm planning on installing the OS10.2.3 update (from 10.2.2), and was wondering if anyone else had done it already and experienced any issues/problems with Fly2? Can't imagine what they might be, but I vaguely remember somone mentioning something.Best,Joel

Joel,Go for it, it is finally usable with Fly!II . I switched to both Fly!2.5.240 and MacOS 10.2.3 at the same time so I could not tell which one gave the most improvement, but it is now as fast as it used to be pre-patched on OS9. I know that there was a major overhaul of the OpenGL framework in 10.2.3 (which was quite risky to do for an update, by the way), and this must have contributed, definitely.And I can finally say good bye to my OS9 partition,as it was my last application that required OS9 :-)TiBook G4 800Mhz, 512MB RAMcheers,

Guest product

FYI no change to frame rates in the 10.2.3 update- I think it may have affected some ATI cards or something, but I'm not seeing any difference between this and 10.2.2...Best,Joel

Just tried several installations of Fly! II with OS X 10.2.3. The following problems remain unresolved:1. Error message "cannot open system.pod"2. Installed MacSoft patch 2.10. Game opened but would not recognize my Joystick. The Mouse could cause movement in the X and Y axes per the Test option. 3. Installed patch 2.4/2.5 without success. system here is Mac G4 512mb Apple Cinema 23" dual 1gig. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Have emailed Macsoft. thankstom

Guest product

That's the first I've heard of such problems, Tom- it was a smooth install/update on my G4.Best,Joel

Guest Allan Jones

Tom,I don't know what sequence you used, but maybe this would help:[ul][li]remove all FlyII files currently installed[li]do a "clean" install of FlyII from the CD but don't launch Fly yet[li]Skip the internim patch from MacSoft (I think the 240 patch includes the interim one)[li]Apply the 240 patch to the clean copy.[/ul]Before the 240 patch, FlyII had major problems with X, including lack of joystick support. It's possible that it wrote some files that the patch couldn't handle.I have two installations of FlyII on my computer and Sherlock II couldn't find "system.pod" anywhere, so I don't know why that error would pop up.Fly doesn't use pref files in the System folder like most Mac programs. The info is stored in the Fly>System folder in files like fly.ini, control.txt, render.ini, default.key, camera.sav, lang1.kbd, etc. Thus, those files get added to or altered when you launch FlyII. A single launch may put garbage in one of those that the patch can't handle.Hope this helps!

Tom,I have the same configuration as you for my desktop and I have not seen your system.pod problem either. What I have seen is degraded Joystick behavior since moving to the patch (or 10.2.3, it is hard to tell, but I'd swear I now have the same problem in OS9).What is your Joystick? Mine is a Wingman Logitec Extreme and I basically can not adjust the slider anymore.Regarding your particular mouse problem, I think I remember seeing it once:Both mouse and Joystick are USB. It occurred when unplugging the mouse after plugging in the Joystick: somehow the system got confused between the two, and Fly would list in the Test-Axis window, in a pop up, both the Joystick and the mouse, with the mouse selected. Try selecting the Joystick if it is present in the Fly Test-Axis pop-up. Otherwise, try rebooting your system, if that is not enough, then the configuration has been saved by Fly. Try moving away the Fly/Control.txt and the Fly/Fly Controller Diagnostics.txt files (the first one will be recreated at start-up, the second one does not seem to be used at all).That did it for me, I hope this helps.

Guys,I have tried to "update" my copy of FLY! 2 probably at LEAST four (4) times...TODAY!!Stuffit Expander will NOT extract to the FLY! 2 folder...All it does is create a new folderWITHIN the FLY! 2 folder I just installed!!!! (Using ver. 7.0.1)I'm starting to get just a LITTLE frustrated!Any help would be greatly appreciated.(btw-I've been dealing with Macs for at least 13 years, so I'm not a novice...I guess just don't get it.)Mac OS 10.2.3/G4-933/768 RAM/Superdrive/GeForce 4 Ti/Wingman Extreme jsThanks...Jim

Guest product

Jim,WHy not just extract to your desktop, then drag the files over? It's what I always do and works smoothly. Best,Joel

Allan,After much consternation with DirecTV DSL AND SBC DSL,I FINALLY got back on the forums here.I can't launch FLY! 2 either, and that's AFTER doing a brand-spankin'new install...THREE TIMES!!!There's no way that I can use FLY! 2, although I really want to.The messsage that I get in regards to this file is:"Msg: Unable to open pod file systemstartup.podFile: podmain.cpp line 329Time: Tue Jan 28 16:29:13 2003errno = 89 (Mac OS error (-43))"Error Code Explanation:"-43 fnfErr File not found; Folder not found; Edition container not found; Target not found"This is really frustrating...JimTHAT is why I can't use FLY! 2.

Joel,I've tried everything else....I'll give it a shot, and thanks...Jim

Guest product

I'll be interested in hearing about your framerates with the GeForce4 ti card when you're set up Jim, I also have that card and am not too pleased by its performance...Joel

Joel,Sorry to report that I STILL can't get FLY! 2 to launch, even after trying your suggestion.I guess I'll have to find a "new" copy of FLY! 2 and start from there.Maybe this one somehow got corrupted.Maybe I'll find another copy of the patch (but I've already downloaded it once already. This time this was done with a fresh download ofthe patch, but they've both been from the Avsim library; maybe it's thefile here that's screwed up, I don't know.I'll wait and see if anyone else has a better idea; personally, I'mout of options!!Regards,Jim

Guest product

Jim,Are you sure you're dragging just the right files over, and replacing the old ones in the correct places? It's not so much an "install" process as just moving a few files.Joel