Sign in to follow this  

CALLING ALL MACHEADS...HELP!!

Hi Allan FlyII has been working great with the 240 patch up until today. I went to start it up but it froze on the Loading Screen even after a couple of restarts. So I thought "not a big deal I'll just reinstall the whole thing from the boxed version 210 and update it with the 240 patch just as I had done before when the patch was released". No Problem I thought. After the install and update I tried to start FlyII again but this time the splash screen didn't even come up. Instead an error box with a red hand appeared saying "Unable to open pod file startup/system.pod".I thought it was my system so I threw out the system Prefs and some other prefs but no joy. I've tried full extention sets and my FlyII extention sets as well as starting up from another drive but still no joy.What's the deal?John StoltzG4 450 Dual1Gig RAM9.2.2ATI Rage Pro 128

Guest Allan Jones

John,This came up right after the patch came out. Some got the error, others (including me) didn't. I don't recall if we ever figured it out. I looked back in the forum to last October or November but couldn't find it quickly.When you patched the clean install, did you run Fly and then apply the patch or did you add the patch before launchng Fly? Had to be one of those two choices. Try the opposite of what you did before and see if it helps.When this came up before, I searched both my FlyII installations (one is modified 216 and the other is patched up to 250) and could not find the system.pod file referenced.Some people got past that error by doing a clean install from the CD, then opening the fly.ini file and changing "searchPodFilesFirst=1" to 0 (same as you need to do if you run add-ons). For others, no joy. Might be worth a try.Franklin has a good memory--maybe he can jump in.

Guest ftessler

Allan and John,I *used* to have a good memory. :)Seriously, though, I seem to remember this error, too, although I never experienced it personally. There is no file with this name in my Fly! II installation, either.I'd try Allan's suggestions and see what happens.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Allan and Franklin,Funny thing is, when the patch first came out I didn't have this problem. It worked fine with a clean install from what I remember. I used 240 for the longest time.I tried your suggestions Allan, clean install then patch, clean install run it then patch, clean install searchpodfilesfirst=0 and 1then patch, but no joy. Wierd.Also with the 216 clean install I noticed a rotating beacon light at Pitt Meadows Airport was square ...hmm...never saw that before.Maybe I'm installing it wrong. All I do is drag and drop all five or six items from the 240 folder to my FlyII folder to relace the existing items. The system folder for example is then left with just the PATCH.POD, a Modules folder and a render.ini. Is this correct? What if I tried taking the CONTENTS of each 240 folder and drag and dropping them into the corresponding 216 folders? ie: contents of system 240 to system 216 so that I'd end up with a 216 system folder with the ADDITION of the PATCH.POD. I looked for a file as well called startup/system.pod. The only thing I found was startup.pod in 216.Is there a way to open PATCH.POD on a Mac to look for this file?John StoltzG4 450 Dual1Gig RAM9.2.2ATI Rage Pro 128

Hi John,You can't actually replace the exixsting folders because there are item in the folders you still need.What you should do........ is open the 240 patch folders and transfer the items in the specific folders so that they overwrite JUST the items in the folder which have the same names.for example:Open up a folder from the PATCH (240) say the DATA folderthen just drag the FACTORY.MLF into your existing DATA folder. This will then overwrite the OLD FACTORY.MLF.Hope this helps...........if your not to sure about the above just let me know and I'll go through it with you.Good LuckRegards John

Thanks John, Allan and Franklin. I did what you said John...works like a charm! I guess I misunderstood the instructions and overestimated the simplicity of my beloved Mac. Kudos.Thanks again.John StoltzG4 450 Dual1Gig RAM9.2.2ATI Rage Pro 128

Guest Allan Jones

Boy am I glad that worked out! I was worried I'd have to put jumper cables on the memory chip between my ears!I suspect that startup/system.pod may be something akin to the "firstrun" function in other apps. It may be auto-deleted after the first launch.Welcome back to the friendly skies!