Sign in to follow this  
Macflyer

New User here: Updating Fly!2 database on MAC with .dex files

Hi folks,finally, after a long search, I was able to buy a brand new sealed copy of Fly!2 for my Mac.Thanks to this forum which I searched through for the past days I was able to do a clean install and already enjoyed some hours of nice flying.I am a flight simmer since 1988 (FS II on Atari), MS FS 98 on PC, FU II & III on PC, X-Plane 8 on Mac and now additionally Fly!2 with OS X Panther.I am impressed by the quality of Freeware Add.ons (esp ROTW) But I have some questions of course, I did not find an answer yet. Maybe one of you can helpHere we go:1.) How do I import .dex-files coming with some scenery add-ons to update Fly!2

Guest cabbepe

Hi!Did you by chance find any PC-version of Fly!II?I don't have all the answers. I used only Fly!I on my old Mac. I now have a PC with FS2004. I think the .dex converter for Mac is usable for both versions as it is a separate program. I don't remember where I found it. Check the Fly! file library in Avsim.Look for c4tov2.zip in File library Fly 2 Miscellanious.Also flyscripts201.zip . I think it's useful as the previos version was in Fly1.If my good friends here still are checking in, I'll guess there will be more answers. The ROTW people in France are good on Mac problems too.

Guest Eagle

Good morning.You may want to place your questions in the general discussion forum for Fly. A response would be quicker.I believe from previous discussions there is a problem in obtaining SRMT data. You can do a search on that subject and I am sure your questions would be answered.

Guest ftessler

Hi, and welcome.I'd be interested to hear your opinion on how Fly! compares to X-Plane. I was an avid Fly! user until a couple of years ago, but I wasn't able to get my yoke working properly under OS X, so I only fire it up once in a blue moon. I did buy X-Plane a while back, but haven't had much time to use it.-Franklin

Hi,about X-Plane I like a lot the instruments animations and the good scenery graphics acceleration. I dislike with many small planes that they fly very bumpy.Also with bigger jets the in-depth systems are not what they could be.About Fly! I love the look of terrascene, great freeware airports (X-Plane gets better though) and I hope the Fly!legacy project gives us at least an improved Fly!2 in the area where it is lacking.Both great sims with their own highs and lows but its a good feeling to have them both on the harddisk. If I just want the "nice-scenery-relax-sunday-afternoon-flight" I fire up Fly!. For online and naviagtion excercises X-Plane is the first choice.

Guest cabbepe

Hi again!Now I remember the name of .dex software for Mac. I'ts DB Import. Check it up in the file library. It may be useful.Merry Christmas, folks!

Hi,as far as I understand, DB import does not work with Fly2 only with Fly1. But let me check in detail.Thanx

Guest Azzurro

Hello Macflyer, welcome in our community.If you want to get databases ready for use (so you won't have to modify them), have a look on our site Fly.Simvol-ROTW: at the page of "Dafif's", you will find the last published pods (decembre 2005).Unfortunately, as the Dafif's datas will not be anymore available, this is the last update, but it is the best way of having fresh issued datas on your Mac.CheersAzzurro (also a MacUser, but I have Fly!II on a PC)

Hi Azzurro,over the past 2 weeks I installed almost everything of Simvol :-) But the Dafifs yesterday. Since I love the stuff your guys are doing at Simvol and since I want to contribute a little time and effort to Fly!2 I would love to learn how to do some scenery design. I know there might be the one or other tutorial but it would be great if one of you could assist step by step for a first project to keep things easy.My idea: to work on good ol

Guest cabbepe

I agree with you. Simvol is great.Also, I was afraid that DB import did not work on Fly! 2. If I find anything, I'll let you know.