Sign in to follow this  

I96 project

Randall, Back again. Heres something you said from another post. "BTW - Now that you're getting the feel of the built-in editor, you might want to set these scenery files aside in a safe place (just move the data folder to a backup area) and try to set up the same airport with Terramodels. I'm looking forward to working with Allen's great program later this summer - from everything I've seen Allen has put together a fantastic scenery creation tool that allows you to build your airports/cities with less polygons than Fly's own models."Ok I want to make sure that I dont loose anything before I try this. What scenery folders do I need to save? Are they the ones in the FlyIIscenery? I have a folder in there named I96t that I made when running Terrascenery. Also what about the dex files that you made for me to place my runway? How do I remove that data so the existing runway doesnt show up?As you can see in the shot Ive posted there is a access road that takes you to the airport. It doesnt line up with where the existing runway is located. If my brain is correctly assuming that if I use Terramodel's it will place the runway in the correct position. Or could I edit the dex files and get it to be placed correctly?Sorry for all the questions. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Oops I forgot something. The main reason Im wanting to try this is because you said that Terramodels would create the model with lower polygon models. As you can see in the screenshot , the models Im using from FlyII are giving me low teens in the FPS. Im not really all that into fps but if it will increase them. Then heck I will give it a go. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

I followed other posts on the I96 project because your struggles are helping me complete my own project. One question I have remains. There seemed to be no resolution to the fact that your newly added airport shows up in Fly!II but not in Terramodels. I find the same to be true for my airport. Did you fix that problem? If not, how could you use terramodels to create the buildings for your airport? Right now I'm using lat/long coordinates and guessing---but thats a lot of work.Any advice?Dan

Dan Here is how to fix this from AllenDelete the RUNWAY.DBD or AIRPORT.DBD from your local TM2 DATABASE folder. TerraModels will then rebuild these files the next time the program is executed.:-wave

This is correct - Terramodels can't place an airport or a runway - they are placed by the Fly! database. If you ever want to remove either or both, send me a message and I'll show you how to edit and rerun the DEX as a "delete" tool.I placed the runway to be as accurate as possible from the extremely limited data available on it. With no lat/lon for the airport's runway, I used the one available lat/lon that identified the airport's position and used it as the center of the runway - this is used in the real world as the airport center at some small airports, so it may even be correct. From the center I extracted the ends of the runway by moving the exact distance from center to match the published runway length. I used bearings estimated from the runways' IDs and published drift error. That's a lot of "maybes" but it should be close.

Randall Rocke

That's a great idea. Since I haven't been able to fire up TM yet, I have to get the data from other sources.So...how far off was I? :(

Randall Rocke

RandallYours is the one to the North.It

Thanks - well, hey! It's close! :-)I really feel pretty good about it, considering there was no info. Looks like another great benefit of TM is picking up missing positional data.

Randall Rocke

Yes it is a nice feature. You can obtain an image if you only have LaatLong coordinates as we did. Then just move your mouse to a feature and you can read its position at the bottom of your screen.:-wave

Ok guys, Just got in from work. So it may be tomorrow before you see this. Meco you said you downloaded this? Where from? This image is more up to date than what I have seen thusfar. If you look towards the bottom of the image there is a small lake and just beyond that there is a golf course. Also Dannol brought up a good question. Terramodels doesnt have the info for I96 in its database, so how did you get it to show it as existing?I'm really tired right now and wont attempt to work on this tonight. But in the meantime I will go ahead and save and remove the existing runway as it is right now. So I can start with a clean slate. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Dannol, Glad to hear that someone is benefitting from this post. I wish I could tell you more than already has been said about this. I havent been able to use Terramodel yet either. I used Terrascenery to enhance the surrounding area and Randall made up the dex files for to import into FlyII. What I have right now works just fine for me. How ever Randall commented that if I wanted some more frame friendly scenery. Then I should give Terramodel a try. This is the reason Im wanting more info about saving and such before I attempt to use Terramodel. I have another post in this thread for Meco with questions regarding how he was able to get TM to recognize I96 in its database. So we will have to wait and see what his answer his on this. :) TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Dannol, I apologize for the confusion. Im Just got off work and Im very tired. I thought about your question and it came to me. I did use TM before Randall made the Dex files for me. I chose new project and then chose to enter cordinates from there. This tells TM to search the database of USGS and then will give you a image of the area. Only setback is that it wont allow you to place taxiways with TM.That problem was solved using Taxiway another really good program, that I believe comes packaged with FlyII. Its kind of tricky to get use to, but after some trial and error it placed taxiways for me perfectly. If you have any more questions just post away. Im sure that you will get all the help that you need here. :) Its been worth all the effort thus far for me. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Tony < you said you downloaded this? Where from?>The BW image is the USGS image obtained by TM. I also used this image in taxiway.The color image was generated by TSThis fix is from Allen.Here is how to get TM to recognize I96. Delete the RUNWAY.DBD or AIRPORT.DBD from your local TM2 DATABASE folder. TerraModels will then rebuild these files the next time the program is executed.If you want to change the runway coordinates to the ones that I used, just open your RUNWAY.dex, using VolEdit, change the LAT/LONG entries toRunway 8: Lat 37*5