Sign in to follow this  

2 questions-What's the Fly!2 elevation model and can we

I am nearing completion on my first UK scenery tile and an inserting some missing GA airfields. One of these (Denham EGLD) is at 249ft but when I view my aircraft on the runway I'm starting off 30 feet up in the air. The runway sits OK on my scenery though.I assume therefore I'd better get into 'improving' the elevation model. Is Fly!2 using GTOPO30 (or even DTED level 0)data or do I still have to convert to this.I know that even say GTOPO30 is only accurate to around 1 km-would I be better off using 'AsRux software's GTOP30 converter' which interpolates up to 16 points per pixel?One other question re importing data. Can Fly!2 support 2 parallel runways with the same heading designations? I wish to produce a grass runway alongside an existing asphalt one, as is fairly common in the UK. It is usual to just call the lesser runway say '06 Grass' and not '06 Left'.There are so many unexplained details re database editing-we are still hoping that the 'beta team' will be able to produce that 'tutorial' or descriptive listing sometime.DaveT

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi David,>I am nearing completion on my first UK scenery tile and an >inserting some missing GA airfields. One of these (Denham >EGLD) is at 249ft but when I view my aircraft on the runway >I'm starting off 30 feet up in the air. The runway sits OK >on my scenery though. >I assume therefore I'd better get into 'improving' the >elevation model. Is Fly!2 using GTOPO30 (or even DTED level >0)data or do I still have to convert to this.That's great news, I look forward to seeing it :-)I'm not sure what Fly!'s elevation model is, It may be a mixture depending upon what was available for a given area. >I know that even say GTOPO30 is only accurate to around 1 >km-would I be better off using 'AsRux software's GTOP30 >converter' which interpolates up to 16 points per pixel? You can also use a utility called dted2fly,in the Library, which will interpolate your dted0 data in much the same way.>One other question re importing data. Can Fly!2 support 2 >parallel runways with the same heading designations? I wish >to produce a grass runway alongside an existing asphalt one, >as is fairly common in the UK. It is usual to just call the >lesser runway say '06 Grass' and not '06 Left'. Yes, you can do that. The numbers will not be drawn, though (which I guess you don't want, anyway). You just have to give the runway a unique key and it will appear.>There are so many unexplained details re database editing-we >are still hoping that the 'beta team' will be able to >produce that 'tutorial' or descriptive listing sometime. >There were some tutorials on Ken Salter's site, but I'm not sure if they are still accessible.You can use Vol!Edit by Didier or the Dexeditor that I wrote to make the database entries. You will also need Deximport by Frank Racis to import the changes. Vol!Edit & Deximport are in the library, Dexeditor is on my site with a partially completed manual.In addition, there are documents about database editing in the library, maybe in the Fly!1 section, but the info is still relevant.If you have a specific query, just post it here and I'm sure someone will be able to answer.ColinMy Site

Thanks ColinI tried out the GTOP30 'interpolated to 16 points' and had the fun of watching my 172 roll down the hill that had now appeared at the Denham runway!Denham is 249ft and Heathrow 4 miles away is 80ft-never been aware of more than a gently sloping Thames valley before.It certainly is pretty flat around Denham in real life.Oh well perhaps I'll see what dted0 data does.Is there any way to modify small areas of DEM data?DaveT

DavidI don't know of any way to modify dem data (yet), but there are plenty of utilities around to view it.Depending upon the density of the elevation points, Fly! interpolates, anyway.Colin

Let me also remind you guys of Flattenator Deluxe, which will allow you to flatten (or raise/lower) any 4x4 detailed tile area that you have created. In fact, that's how we (PMDG) produced our Greek Scenery airports.

Hi Lefteris,Good point :-)I was more thinking about the raw data rather than the slicer interpolated data.Colin

Hi DaveSome time ago I uploaded a tutorial "Modify Elevation Data" at AVSIM. (Download-ID 13809). It describes how to create a *.TRN-File and how to flatten the tiles containing the runway by editing this file.It worked for my LOAN and LOGF Scenery.Harald

Thanks guys for those tips.Back from holiday now, when I have caught up with work I'll get to fixing Denham and get the scenery out.DaveT