Sign in to follow this  

no rivers to see!

G'Day!I create new sceneries with terrascene2 and I has download all shapefiles, which I can catch from esri.But if the scenery is ready I cant see any rivers!What is wrong or what should I do??If anybody knows, please help me...Greetingsmare

Hello Mare,You'll need to answer some questions first:1.Did you download any shapefiles for water? Some files are for land, others for boundaries, some for bodies of water, some for streams, etc.2. What order did you place the files in the manually-added directory? If you placed files for water first, then followed it with land use files, the land data will cover the water data and it will disappear. I would recommend the following order:--Land use and geographic boundaries (like shorelines)--Streams, rivers and lakes--Cities and towns--Railroads--Highways, roads, and streets

Randall Rocke

G'Day Randall!Thanks for Your help. I'm afraid, the 2nd point was the problem.Do You like some sceneries from Ireland??? I'll ,send You.Greetings mare

G'Day!Also with the last tips I cannot see big rivers. What should I do????Please help me...Greetings Mare

Mare,Shapefiles have to be assigned attributes by you to appear. You would have to first download the appropriate file for drainage. Then you would have to assign attributes to them such as: small streams, large streams, rivers, etc.Some data is more detailed than others and you will be presented more options with better data to assign to line values for rivers.

The tutorial gives examples on how to assign these values - it's not always easy, as the data will be different from different sources. Each site you download from should have a chart or listing for the types of data in each file type and what the designations are. In the above sample the DNNET Arc Lines (green) are the rivers and streams. When I place that shape file in Terrascene, I will try to match up stream and river assignments based on the chart I downloaded from the data site.

Randall Rocke

G'Day Randall!I found one problem:I set the "day land types" for "water"-streams and canals to: water-oceans.jpgand the "day line types" for "streams" to: water-lake.jpgwidth(pixels): 4 (before 1!!!!!!)Antialias on (before off)3D on (before off)Have You the same performance???Now I can see the rivers, but maybe it's possible to make it better.GreetingsMare

Mare,Sounds like you're on the right track. I have a lot of experience with this in Fly!2K with the old textures (the default packages did very well with the different waterways), but not in Fly!II. I've been so busy with other issues since Fly!II came out, that I've only produced scenery using USGS data so far.I will be working on a small European airport area in a few weeks, so I'll find out how well the shapefile designations for streams and rivers match up.

Randall Rocke