Sign in to follow this  

ILS Modifications

I need to relocate an ILS signal and its accompanying markers to a new runway, is there a decent tutorial or any tips anyone can give me for this venture?-Matt

Matt,I've been working on a comprehensive tutorial with a partner, but it probably won't be released until some time in September. In the meantime, the following resources should help you get started:There is a FAQ on DB-editing (you must modify the ILS database to make corrections or additions) at the top of this forum page that lists resources. Colin and I produced some basic tutorials on DB-editing which are posted on Salty's site here: http://www.thesalters.org/fly2/database_editing_tutorial.htmThere was also a basic tutorial on this subject that someone sent up to the file library.

Randall Rocke

Great, I'll take a peek and I look forward to your upcoming tutorial in september, my experimentation with ILS modification has been unsuccessful so far.-Matt

That tutorial was a good resource Randall thanks, but let me give a better picture of my problem. If you look up KSJC at Airnav.com you will see there is detailed ILS information for 30L and not 30R. 30L is officialy closed and aircraft must land on runway 30R and so there logically has to be an ILS for it but no information posted and its been more than 6 months.So now is there a way to setup it up blind or do I require exactly localizer and glideslope coordinates?-Matt

Matt,Looking at the NOTAMs for KSJC, there is no notification that 30L is closed. It does appear that the ILS for that runway is shut down until the end of November:04/022 - 30L ILS OTS WIE UNTIL 30 NOV 00:01There doesn't appear to be an ILS system for 30R. Though you could place one there, it wouldn't match the real world. Under appropriate instrument conditions, operators would probably use the GPS or VOR/DME Rwy 30R approaches.You can create an ILS with no info - I will be covering that in the detailed tutorial. The main reason for doing that would be to create or repair European and other airports that don't have detailed location info available, such as we have with Airnav. I believe the tutorial in the file library shows a way to do that, if you so desire.BTW, A recent upload of mine for navigation fixes for northern California includes a fix for the 30L ILS at KSJC, replacing the missing Outer Marker.

Randall Rocke

Matt,I have now received additional verification from John Ewing, a NoCal area IFR flight instructor re: the closures at KSJC. He has obtained these additional NOTAMS:I haven

Randall Rocke

That runway is supposed to shut down completely for re-laying with concrete instead of asphalt like the new one. Now it was supposed to be closed for 6 months and 30R went into service in April, its very close to that deadline though I believe the website said something about 2003 for the new runway.I was at the Santa Clara County Fair recently (big shindig here) and its right under the approach path for the two 30s and I saw aircraft executing the same approach but it looked like for both runways. Some were on target for 30R and other's seemed like 30L. That sidestepping thing definetly sounds right.I do however have the new runway implanted nonetheless in Fly! and new taxiways. The "new" 30L won't go in until Airnav.com posts something. As you know I'm hammering away at various details including terminals, I hope to have it finished sometime near October (my slow computer is stuffing delays into my schedule for release).Where do you find those NOTAMs, I've seen similar "gibberish" (hehe) posted on Airnav.com, is that the same place or is there dedicated NOTAM sites. I'd love to keep in check with my local aiport, so much is going on there as you can see.