Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Photoshop 7.0

g'day all,I recently updated from photoshop 5.0 to photoshop 7.0 and found that when I tried to modify pbm files made with vers 5.0 using version 7.0 that no matter what I did I couldn't maintain window transparancy even though the rgb values of 0,0,0, were maintained in the index colour files.I've gone back to version 5.0 because I know it works with Fly!Anyone else using version 7.0 notice any problems?Cheers,Roger @YSSY

I can't get Version 7 to open large TGA's (like whole Globe Tiles from TS2) although I have large swap files allocated, so back to Version 5 to open them and make a new 'PhotoShop .psd', then I use PhotoShop 7 from there on.

I'm using Photoshop 7.0 and have been able to maintain transparency. I change the mode from RGB to indexed color using image>mode>indexed color w/ the following options:1) Palette: Local (Selective)2) Colors: 2563) Forced: Custom (ensure 0,0,0 is the first entry in the table)4) Matte: none5) Dither: Diffusion6) Amount: 75%7) Preserve exact colors: NoThat may be what you're using already, but I thought I'd share what you use. The only time I've had trouble w/ transparency is keeping windows transparent on some repaints. In this case, I usually create my repainted texture and then open the original and paste a copy of mine over the original.I'm not able to open up large TGAs from Terrascene in Photoshop 7.0 and just assumed it was too large for my memory. I'm guessing from the previous post that I might be able to open the file in Photoshop 5.0? I'm curious about that one.

If I start a project by creating a 'transparent layer' before starting anything else,(the only way I believe that you can create a transparent one),then I can maintain that transparent layer when I add other layers etc. I use this to add 'night lighting fx' to a previous 'photo scenery tga'. I plonk white or yellow 3 pixel sized blobs on the transparent layer whilst viewing the scenery tga as a background layer,to make the lights.That works OK in PST v7.Dan Try and open those big tga's in PSP5. Even if the swap files are set the same you'll find v5 will do it but v7 will still give that 'not enough RAM' message. It doesn't need much RAM of course because it should be writing to your swap file. DaveT