Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

Please explain how the two pods interact.....

When I added the ac_defaultFix.pod in the aircraft folder, it clearly added fixes and modifications to the existing aircrafts. Now, can somebody explain to me how does this work as opposed to having to individually modify each specific aircraft pod. For example, if I want to modify a default panel, do I modify the original pod or do I simply create another pod that interacts with the original. Thanks.tony

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

G'day Tony,First I must qualify my position. I am NOT a programer ( CEE has always been something I swim in or go fishing in ):-)No one has yet replied so I'll give you my interpretation of what I think goes on. Just what I've picked up doing repaints and cockpit mods.You know that by setting "searchpodfilesfirst=0" you force fly to search sub folders before searching the pods for any given file.So you could if you like simlply place your modified *.pnl file in the DATA folder and presto!; every time you selected the modified aircraft your beaut new panel would display. Repainters do this all the time to check the progress of their work.When you finish a repaint and want to pod up you have to convince fly that this is another aircraft. This is done by grabbing about a dozen files from the original pod, doing a bit of renaming of the files. and podding them up with the new livery file.The podded repaint will NOT work without the original aircraft pod present in the aircraft folder as there are MANY files in the original pod that are shared with the repaint pod.When ( with searchpodfilesfirst=0) fly looks for a file it checks out the subdirectories first and if it isn't found it then searches through ALL the pods until it finds the file. Note: it doesn't go straight to the pod file of the selected aircraft.The order that the pods are searched seems (not certain)to be the order in which the pods appear in the "select aircraft" menu.This is why ALL files in fly MUST have unique names. If you were to pod your *.pnl file (flyhawk.pnl) and put it in a pod named "avro" then if you had the flyhawk selected fly! would find the panel file for the flyhawk in the pod "avro" ( assuming avro was before the flyhawk pod in heirachy.(in the aircraft menu)} and use this file.pods basically only exist to keep all files for a given aircraft together for ease of maintenance of the files. Just imagine what the folder would look like if all aircraft files were jumbled in the one directory. It would be a dogs breakfast and modification would be nigh on impossible.To directly answer your question - no it is not imho desireable to make changes this way. It is a much cleaner solution to repod the original aircraft with the modified files. If you do what you are suggesting then you may as well just place the modified files in the repective folders and leave it at that. Why bother to pod???Pods don't communicate with each other. As I understand it all they do is act as a container (hence pod) to keep all relevent files grouped.All the above could be and probably is codswallop :-) In that case I plead early dementure or too much aluminium in the water :-):-)Rich please feel free to step in and correct me. Many appologies if I've got it wrong.Cheers,Roger (no wonder I'm having problems with my panel mods) @YSSY

I have not looked at that particular pod to verify, but the POD3 format does support a "load priority" value in the pod header, so that files in a pod can override files in another pod. I think that lower values represent higher priority, and that the default aircraft have their load priorities set at 1000.If you create a modification to an existing aircraft that you actually want to replace the aircraft (i.e. you don't want to make an all-new variant) then you could either leave the modified files in the appropriate folder and set searchPodFilesFirst=0, or put them in a pod which has a mount priority value lower than the original.This is just from (fuzzy) memory, so caveat emptor!Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

G'day Tony>To directly answer your question - no it is not imho >desireable to make changes this way. It is a much cleaner >solution to repod the original aircraft with the modified >files. If you do what you are suggesting then you may as >well just place the modified files in the repective folders >and leave it at that. Why bother to pod??? >A neat solution for you tony would to basically do what repainters do. ie. create a new aircraft pod (say modcockpitflyhawk.pod) which contains your modified *pnl file and all other files necessary to make this a new aircraft (but would still need the original aircraft to be in the aircraft folder) You would of course have to rename all the files with unique names.This gives you the option of using the standard aircraft or the aircraft with your modified panel.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Chris is correct. This is actually how the latest Fly! II patch works. I added a new file named "patch.pod", which is in POD3 format with a mount priority of 999. By doing this, any files contained in this pod will always be found by Fly! first, effectively overridding any files of the same name located in any other pod files in the Fly! installation. This would be the easiest way to distribute changes/fixes to aircraft if you did not want to recreate the original pods (which should not be uploaded/shared in their entirety anyway).Rich