Sign in to follow this  

Default .tga?

Does anyone know if there is a way to generate a .tga for a globe tile in Fly! that captures the generic scenery as laid out by Fly!? I was thinking that if it were possible to do this then we could use the scenery generated by Fly! as a layer in a program like photoshop and then add additional layers for lakes and rivers, roads, cities, etc. with shapefiles, merge it all and use it in Terrascene to replace the .tga generated by Terrascene that used only a single background texture because no LULC (land cover) data was available. That would give us much nicer detail/variety in areas where Fly! already generates excellent background (i.e., Alaska) but without roads, rivers, or properly located cities.Thanks for any input.Don

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Don,You can change the Default Background texture in TerraScene to anything you want. You can make your own texture and assign it to that land type, or use any of the many textures in the library that would be more appropriate for the area your rendering.The Default Background base/swamp-bog.jpg texture is ideal for many areas of the world, but wouldn't be appropriate for a place like Alaska or Las Vegas. For those areas, I make a custom render pack that uses texture that matches the general terrain of the area. The custom pack includes textures that are appropriate for the landscape and I assign a different texture to Default Background and save the pack. That pack is then loaded to render the scenery.

Hi Randall,Thanks for the response. I understand about being able to reset the background texture but what I was hoping was to have as a base the textures across the globe tile as already laid out by Fly! (in those areas where Fly! has assigned more than one texture). For example, in Alaska the mountains are already snow-capped. Since there are no 7.5 DEMS available for Alaska we lose the possibility of quickly recreating this through Terrascene. Being able to capture the Fly! default rendering of a globe tile as the "base" for scenery development in an area like Alaska where it's not all one texture (unlike Hawaii for example where it was all tropical forrest) would be helpful in a couple of ways:1) not having to do over what Fly! has already done, i.e., snow-capped mountains; 2) make it easy to import an existing globe-tile .tga into photoshop to touchup things like misplaced shorelines. For example in Skagway, there are some ghost-like mountains that extend slightly out into the water. Taking a screenshot of the the globe tile, we could then paint over the ghost-like mountains with an appropriate texture. We'd still need to do a TS rendering of the globe tile but then could replace the TS generated .tga with our modified screenshot .tga and then reslice with the "use existing" feature in Terrascene;3) take a screenshot (with permission if not just for home use) of a 3rd-party generated scenery to make whatever modifications/improvements in a graphics editor we would like; and4) take the screenshot of the globetile and then paste in an aerial view of our favorite airport within that screenshot of the globe tile and then import back into Fly! via Terrascene (especially in an area like the San Francisco Bay Area where we want to keep the existing scenery). I had thought maybe I could do this by going into the scenery editor and zooming out until a whole globe tile appeared on screen and then take a screenshot. I didn't know what kind of resolution I'd get from this approach but on my system Fly! will only zoom out so far and then freeze the program, so I didn't get to test it. If this makes any sense, maybe there's a clever programmer out there who could do something with this. Thanks.Don