Sign in to follow this  
Guest pac

Looking for a way to convert fly I scenary

Guest pac

Hy, I' ve some great looking scenery, but they seems don't work withfly2. Do you know a way to convert a .EPD to a .POD file that works on fly2?Thanks.Pac

Pac,If you are talking about model scenery, the scenery would first have to be unpodded using the orignal Flyedit program. I understand that the model formats are different between the sim versions - the original models would have to be converted to the new format before they could be used in Fly!II. Once converted, the data could be repodded in the new POD format using the Fly!II Scenery Editor or Pod Creator.If you are talking about TerraScene, you would have to be the author of the scenery and still have the original rendered images of that scenery. If you don't have the images, there may be a utility that would allow you to recover the images (unslice them, so to speak). Once you had the TGA images for the scenery in-hand, they could be resliced by the stand-alone Fly!II slicer that is part of the beta patches (and repodded by same).The resultant scenery, however, would be 15 meters/pixel instead of the default 7.5 m/p of Fly!II, and would appear rather fuzzy and indistinct by comparison.

Randall Rocke

Guest jsippy

What kind of utility would be able to "un-slice" a Fly2k terrascene image collection?I've got some really highly detailed scenery of Chicago for Fly2k that I really love, and may or may not be able to contact the author. This scenery was done in detail slices that are higher resolution then even flyII's scenery, and would be worth the effort.---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Hi John,I know the scenery you are talking about, amazingly life-like in detail.It is possible to create high resolution scenery in Fly!2 @3.75 m per pixel, or even 1.87 m per pixel (with a monster graphics card).I have started playing around with this idea in my spare time again, its been a while since I fired up Fly!2 with work and study.There is a lot of file renaming, hand editing and patience required depending on how large the scenery is, however, I have managed to convert my scenery to 3.75 m per pixel but there is a lot of hand editing required in Photoshop.Andy

Guest jsippy

Andy, thanks for the reply.Was all that hand editing required because you did not have the original terrascene output targas?---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

John,the hand editing involves resizing every texture tile and opacity tile in which the scenery covers, the slicer will only make 7.5 m per pixel tiles - so they have to be manually resized. Then it is a case of overlaying the high res scenery over the new tiles, which is where a lot of patience is required.It can be done, but with a lot of time and patience.Andy