Sign in to follow this  

Default Scenery Library Questions.

Are there a lot of geographical features missing from the default fly2 scenery library? I ask because as a resident of South Central PA. my home airports would be kcxy, kmdt, and kseg. One prominent feature missing from the scenery of my home area is the Susquehanna River which is pretty notable in the central region of PA and it isn't there in Fly 2. Can Terrascene handle a modification like that where I could add this specific river myself? It sort of elludes me how such a prominate terrain feature as the principle contributor to the Chesapeake Bay could have been overlooked especially since Austin Meyer knows of it as does Mr. Gate's team.

Hi Gary,Fly!II's default scenery does not include many default rivers. It is fairly accurate on coastlines and large bodies of water (like the Great Lakes) but does not include many rivers, any roads or highways between urban areas, any streams, etc. Some rivers are shown that feed into large bays or the ocean (but not many). The scenery textures are excellent and very realistic, but the missing rivers and roads really bring down the realism for local flying.As far as TerraScene is concerned, you cannot add just a specific item like a river (as TS will add all the rivers in the scenery area and create a new image of the landscape underneath it). What TerraScene will do is give you every river, stream, lake, hill, street and path for the whole area - you can't get more realistic outside of a satellite representation. There are ways for you to use TerraScene with other programs (like TerraShape and a CAD program) to generate missing features, but as your area is in the U.S. with readily available USGS data, there would be no need for it. You should get excellent results.

Randall Rocke

Thanks a lot for the encouragement. I deduce that I must download all the necessary terrascene files as I can't seem to locate it with the Fly 2 files. What would I have to download and are there pre-written models or will I have to do my own designing?

TerraScene is a separate freeware program by Todd Klaus - the download links to it and other scenery tools are listed here at the top of the Developer's forum: http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...esg_id=19&page=Be sure to get the latest version: TerraScene 2.1. You also will need to have Fly!II updated to v230 or later - I recommend v240. This is a large program, so plan your download time or use a download accelerator if you are not a broadband user (or even if you are for greater download speeds).Again, don't confuse this with a modeling program - there are no models. This is a scenery grid generating program - it creates photorealistic landscapes that are very accurate, especially in the U.S. Study the large tutorial that is included in the program and work with some small areas first. If you would like to make the first use very easy, download one of my Ohio Project or Carolinas Project scenery packs - follow the instructions, and let TerraScene automatically generate the scenery for you.Once you get the hang of it, TerraScene your area. I would recommend that you use "Snap to grid" and produce sceneries of no less than 1/4 global tile in size - personally, I prefer full global tiles. TerraScene will automatically download the appropriate geodata from the USGS and use it to render the exact scenery for your area. Its basic use is quite easy - beyond that, there is much you can learn to edit and update TerraScenery images, some of which can be much more complicated, but its not necessary to do this to get outstanding results.If you want to add 3D models, the easiest way is to download and use the program TerraModels. It comes with its own set of models - so does Fly!II itself within its own Scenery Editor. You will note in the documentation for TerraModels there are other model sets (some very good ones!) that you can download from the file library.

Randall Rocke