Sign in to follow this  
Guest swathdiver

How to create chrome???

Hello all! Been laboring over my Pilatus repaint and getting dirty looks from the wife! Almost done but I'd like to add some chrome to the propeller hub, air intake and exhausts. Using rgb 204 204 204, it just looks gray. Using photoshop 7. Thanks! If I get her done before the 4th I'll post for all, if not will have to wait until I'm back towards the end of July. Hmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,I seem to remember Pete Sterling managing it on some of his re-paints.I also think I remember him posting how to do it.Try searching for posts by MAC_Paint.Colin

Thanks! I'll look into it. Searched hi and lo and haven't found anything.Hmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

G'day,I use Photoshop 5 and paint chrome simply by painting the component the base colours (black/grey/white)and then use "lasso" or the "irregular" box icon to select the component.Then simply select Filter/sketch/chrome.A new small window opens with a preview of your selected component and 2 slider bars detail and smoothness). Just slide the sliders until you get the desired effect, then click OK.An alternative is to paint the same base colours and select the component and then select filter/blur/gaussian blur . This can give a chrome look but sometimes the colour outside the box is affected.I should imagine that Photoshop 7 is similar :-)Pete Stereling achieved remarkable true metal finish for his aircraft, with a layering technique I believe, and did post the texture to the Avsim library.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Thanks again Roger! I'll try it out and let you know. I've got so much left to do on this repaint that it'll have to wait until after our vacation. Hopefully I'll get it done by mid-August. It's looking really cool!James Hmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!