Sign in to follow this  
Guest cboscari

I'm glad to be back but need a refresher course on TS2....

Guest cboscari

Hi all!I left Fly! 2 and Flight sims in general about a year and a half ago when the USGS pulled the data off their server. The latest patch (then)for Fly! 2 still left bugs, etc. I gave it another try with the latest patches and I'm just amazed!Anyway, I'm using Terrascene 2.1 and rendering the San Fernando Valley/Van Nuys Airport area, and I have this strange Green Square island in the ocean, and when I peek at the water mask, sure enough, a big white square in the ocean (where I assume there is no USGS data). What is the best fix? Fill in the area of mask with black and recreate the pod?Also, what is the best proceedure for uninstalling my old pod? I think all I have to do is delete it from the directory, but I remember there was a text file I needed to edit or somthing? or was that the original Fly! I am thinking of? I have another more general question, so I'll leave and post it in the Main Fly! forum. Thanks!Chris.

Chris,Yes - Edit the square out of the water mask by painting it black and rerender. Whenever there are large water areas in the tile, I recommend not slicing on the first run - there are bound to be some anomolies that need to be edited out. Open the images in a photo editor and edit them. Then, rerender with your corrections and slice the scenery.To uninstall the old pod, just delete it and its accompanying SCF file. In Windows, the SCF file is interpreted by Explorer as a Windows Explorer Command file and may not show an extension. Regardless, it is a descriptive text file for the scenery and will have the same name - just delete it.A reminder: when you use TerraScene it generates the raw data for the pod and places it in the data directory. This can really mess up the data folder if you have other items in it, like taxiway files, airport scenery, etc. Also, all of the TerraScenery data needs to be deleted before you start Fly!II or else your pod will never be read - Fly! will read the data files instead and run very slowly. The easiest way to do this is to rename the regular data folder before you begin a new scenery area, such as hold data or even just data_. TerraScene will then make its own new data folder when you render and sclice the scenery. When the new scenery is finished, delete the data folder with all of the TS material, then rename the original folder back to data and fly.

Randall Rocke