Sign in to follow this  
Guest swathdiver

Hawaiian Islands Project Underway

Guest swathdiver

Hello Everyone! First, I'd like to give a BIG THANKS to Wayne for his tireless efforts in making all those airports, especially the ones in Florida to complement my scenery. Next, I've started to Terrascene the Hawaiian Islands using Tiger 2000 shapefile data. As someone stated before the LULC data appears corrupt in the public domain. I've downloaded some 100k LULC but Terrascene doesn't seem to like it. Without podding the scenery on Oahu looks good but there are no farms. Any ideas?JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!

Hi James, Check out Don Bishop's Big Island for ideas. I think his read-me file talked about how he created some of the missing data he encountered. About the only thing one might try is to find some decent satellite imagery and ortho-correct, and/or colorize that and match it in. Otherwise, you will have to hand-draw in what you need from whatever photos you can find. Have you tried USAPhotomaps? All I can get with it from TerraServer is a Topographic map, no sat pics of the Islands seem to exist on TerraServer for PD.I've tried to do some of the Islands myself, and the main problem I encountered was on Oahu with missing DEM data for the eastern ranges of the KOOLAU Range. My "test" version of Kauai and Niihau came out okay. Biggest problem you will find is the airports do not align correctly with generated scenery, requiring major runway moves within the database; and many tiles will need to be changed from water to land types. Daunting task, to say the least!My attempts were due to my having lived there in the 80's at (former) NAS Barbers Point (PHNA) - now John Rogers Field (PJRF / JRF).Best of luck in your latest project. Your Florida project has been very fun to Fly! Cheers,Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest swathdiver

Thanks for the info! Later in the week I'll pod the first tiles and check it out. I'll keep everyone posted. JamesHmmm... Tastes Like Chicken!