Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Models upload........required files

G'day all,I think I have it sussed out but just to be sure, better to check than be sorry. :-) A bit of a basic question but just exactly what files do I need to to include in the upload of a model to the library.? Will just the *.smf do or do I need the *.s3d and *.tif as well. If I'm thinking straight ( and that's a rare occurance :-) ) if the *.s3d file is included then that would enable the user to scale bridges to their own needs in the fly! II editor. Should I also make an *mlf file or leave that to the user.?Cheers,Roger

Guest Chris Wallace

Hi Roger,You definitely need to include the .TIF file since that is the texture for the model. I really wonder how many people are going to have the desire or ability to create a new rescaled model if you provided the .S3D. I think people generally prefer a "plug and play" approach but I could be wrong. It's entirely up to you though. I'm not sure but I think you may have to include your original .TGA textures if you include the S3Ds. Since other model designers have included .MLF files I'd recommend you do the same to make it easier for folks to place your models using the editor. That "plug and play" thing again.Are you creating your models in trueSpace or 3DStudio? Just wondering if you're using the TS2S3D converter, the new exporter or the 3DS plugin...I think the problems with the new exporter are just in the animations, but I've personally done very little with static models so if you can let me know of any problems I'll try to get to them too. BTW I found one problem related to your "SAM strike" :-) issue having to do with model units (feet/metres/etc.) But a nasty head cold has taken up residence as the 5th family member and keeping us all miserable :-(Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

G'day Chris,> I really wonder how many people are>going to have the desire or ability to create a new rescaled>model if you provided the .S3D. I think people generally>prefer a "plug and play" approach but I could be wrong. I was planing to include the smf and mlf files as well which would cater for the "Plug and play" simmer but I thought that people might find my bridges just the wrong size for their particular spot and might need to stretch it a little :-) ie I thought it might appeal to more people if they could modify it to their scenery.> I'm not sure but I think you may>have to include your original .TGA textures if you include the>S3Ds.As soon as I read this I was kicking myself. Of course they would need the original tga's and therin lies a problem. I don't know if I even still have them and logistically it would become a nightmare. So it looks like being one size fits all. :-) >Are you creating your models in trueSpace or 3DStudio? Just>wondering if you're using the TS2S3D converter, the new>exporter or the 3DS plugin...I think the problems with the new>exporter are just in the animations, but I've personally done>very little with static models so if you can let me know of>any problems I'll try to get to them too.These are old models made about 10 months ago with a trial version of Max. I have put the harbour bridge 3ds (made in max) into Truespace 3.2 with no apparent problems. I have imported the Gannet s3d (made with your plugin) into the Fly! II artic editor and frame 1 (0 in truespace) looks fine. As you say it appears to be just an animation thing. >problem related to your "SAM strike" :-) issue having to do>with model units (feet/metres/etc.) But a nasty head cold has>taken up residence as the 5th family member and keeping us all>miserable :-(Ah progress :-) No urgency Chris, I'm continuing to add some texturing to the model. I'll post a pic when finished.I hope you get rid of the nasty head bug and have a great Christmas with your family.RogerSydney Australia

Guest detector

Hi Roger,You need only to upload the SMF and the TIF, and the user have to edit the MLF file to add the model to the Fly II Editor.From my tips in the FAQ section:Resizing and repainting a model:Start Fly2 while holding down CTRL. Choose "Shape Editor". Press "1" to load the model. Press "S" to resize. Use "Zoom Uniform" for the axis you choose. You can also choose "Non-Uniform" and adjust one of the axes only. Remember to save your model after resizing it.Tip 6, how to resize a generic model:In order to change a generic model, you first need to un-pod it with Podview into Fly2Art and Models. Then you must rename both the TIF and SMF. If you don`t, the generic model in the generic.pod will override it. After renaming, open the SMF file with notepad and change the TIF name to the new name. Remember the text inside the SMF file is case-sensitive, and that there may be more than one TIF entry in the file.Tip 7, repainting a model:Open the TIF with your paint program. Remember to work with Indexed colour. Change whatever you want and save as Indexed. Tip: The hue/saturation tool is a great way to change the colours. Cut & paste works fine for changing bigger areas.And here`s how my "custom.mlf" file looks (found in Fly IIData):BEGINkrstwr.smf,"Encn Tower",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmgate1.smf,"Engm Gate 1",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmgate2.smf,"Engm Gate 2",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmgate3.smf,"Engm Gate 3",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmgate4.smf,"Engm Gate 4",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmgate5.smf,"Engm Gate 5",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmgate6.smf,"Engm Gate 6",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmgate7.smf,"Engm Gate 7",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmgatew.smf,"Engm Gate W",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmrail.smf,"Engm Railstation",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmlight.smf,"Light1",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmterm1.smf,"Engm Terminal 1",CGhlnstu,AndrewgmtermW.smf,"Engm Terminal West",CGhlnstu,AndrewgmtermE.smf,"Engm Terminal East",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmtwr.smf,"Engm Tower",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmtwhou.smf,"Engm Towerhouse",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmbraa.smf,"Engm Braathens",CGhlnstu,Andrewgmsas.smf,"SAS Hangar",CGhlnstu,Andrewoldterm.smf,"Old Terminal",CGhlnstu,Andrewbrannbil.smf,"Brannbil",CGhlnstu,Andrewbluebus.smf,"Blue Bus",CGhlnstu,Andrewabridge2.smf,"Sotrabrua",CGhlnstu,Bridgesaskoybr.smf,"Ask

G'day Andrew,Thanks for the reply. It's a great little mini turorial on model manipulation. As luck would have it when I uploaded some bridges I did upload the *.smf files in an *.mlf file. Fly! II automatically reads my little *.mlf and adds the contained models to the editor model list. Also I uploaded the tif files. The *.tif files unfortunately were loose. I guess they should really have been podded. If anyone wants to stretch the bridges they can. :-) What a neat feature! Allowing the models to be tweaked for size by the end user, thus making it possible to use the models in many different locations. Cheers,Roger

Guest detector

Hi Roger,That`s correct, models should always be podded before uploading. Loose SMF`s and TIF`s in Fly IIModels and Fly IIArt is no good in the long run...it will end up in a mess, and collide with own projects.That also means if you want the end-user to have the ability to resize the models, you will have to include a short instruction how to un-pod the scenery, how to resize the model and finally, re-pod. It is no big deal for the end-user...the process is very simple.It is like you say, great that designers can allow the end-user to resize and/or repaint their models. My upcoming new bridge will include a "how to" for this purpose. :+