Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Comparisons

Here's an idea -- how about editing the original textures? Since the arrival of Agtim we (or, some of us) have the tools and skills to make new scenery areas. Couldn't the same knowledge be applied to fixing the glitches in the default hi-res areas? I'd assume that a blotchy lake or field could be edited in Photo Shop. One might even look at the areas where water extends up along the shores and edit the textures or the elevation.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

I think its silly to compare the two areas - they have totally different terrains, natural lighting (lattitude) etc. Chris, the low res terrain in your mountain picture is surely an artifact of top down satellite photography - the picture taken from above, then stretched over a very steep hillside. Looking down from 2-3000 feet, you probably couldn't see a difference with other terrain - its a problem with all mountains (and is even a major effect in the FS2002 publicing photos - cliffs shown there look terrible because of stretched graphics, but its worse there because FS2002 uses generic graphics a lot more). But I won't disagree that there are flat areas in Seattle where the colouring is patchy and features sparse. Put in more mist and you won't notice ...As to patching the lake edges Hans - that would be great, but impossible, as the terrain height resolution is much less than the 4m/pixel graphics resolution - you would basically need to generate terrain at a finer mesh ... well maybe not impossible, we have some amazing technical wizards and magicians here ...But there is a problem that may be more easily fixed. In some places the draping of graphics over the terrain is off line. This is easiest to see flying north from Kachess Lake, past the little waterport there and on to the next lake, where it is obvious that the whole scenery has drifted eastwards with respect to the terrain mesh. Or maybe this is the same problem, just an extreme case?Anyway, see ya up thereRobert

Guest Quaxo

I think Hans didn't mean to improve the elevation data, but just the hires textures.And I think that can't be done, because the original textures are stored in compressed format (cpd) while the textures we can do well (like those for UK) must be uncompressed (bin). If we compress, we loose much quality. And we can't leave the patched tile uncompressed, because so the program wouldn't find it... We could uncompress ALL hires megatiles, and tell the sim to only look for uncompressed tiles (as for the UK) but that would be a major job, and would need gigabytes of disk space.But maybe I'm wrong, and the program would find the single uncompressed megatile, even without modifying the reg_cd_levels entry in region.cfg? Does someone know?Cristian