Sign in to follow this  

Something challenging to fly ......... Please ?

Our designers have done a fantastic job of providing us with a hanger full of great planes to fly, and no one appreciates all of their efforts more than me. But, we have enough easy to fly Pussy Cats, now how about a Gee Bee ?

Guest juvat2

Hi GeeBeeJim,Did you ever get around to downloading Markus' GeeBee alpha? The textures are aweful, but its flyable. Quite fun to fly. Its paint job just isn't ready to win any trophies yet.Jim B.

GeeBeeJim, while we certainly agree that more aircraft would be fun I think that we have quite a range. Have you got the Sukhoi? It's an aerobatic aircraft, much like the Extra. I guess "easy to fly pussycats" would be the Pipers and the Cessnas but I have no problems finding challenges with these and my Mustang landings still leave a lot to be desired and tend to be quite "interesting". Even a Cub is a handful when landing out in the boonies, among trees and mountains. Jets offer different challenges and it's not exactly piece of cake to handle the 747 gracefully. To me a flight isn't over until I've landed in one piece, striving to fly "by the numbers" in each aircraft. I'm sure to find challenges for the next decade within the FU3 world. Tried soaring in the Stemme? Crosswing landings? Navigating in zero visibility? But by all means, let's get the GeeBee finished :-)best regards,Hans Petter

I have had the cockpit finished for some time, just waiting on the plane to be finished.

Hi Guys: This is really quite remarkable. I fully expected some negative response to my request, but instead, Juvat, Hans, and Steve have all been very positive. Juvat, if you can describe to me how to perform that download, I would be happy to try it.Thank you all very much. > Jim

Stags: I knew it was only a matter of time before you showed up. Those wings are beautiful, and you guys are giving me lots of optimism, and hope for a Gee Bee in the future.Thanks > Jim

Jim B., Done did the download and I love it. Love flying it, now if I can only keep it upright on the ground. Ahhh, sweet challenge.It's gonna be real pretty when finished.Jim L.

Yes, I got the GeeBee beta version too! I tried to disect in in Resviewer and found that it's really a Mustang. The cockpit is pure Mustang and most of the polygon views are Mustang. I even found a lot of Mustang textures. Then I checked out the GeeBee textures. It might seem that the palette is wrong so I tried to reimport the palette that came with the zip. Well, I got an error message. Then I looked at the name and it wouldn't show. I tried to type in "GeeBee" and got another error message. This *.res seems to be slightly sick :-eek Flying: I didn't get that far since it was acting as a real Bronco on the ground. Once the engine was started it started taxiing, despite the brakes being on. I tried shift + minus to get the prop angle down but it just kept chugging along. I thought it would nose over as I applied brakes but that didn't happen. Instead it toppled over as I tried to turn it (gently) to get in position for a take-off. I may try a quick flight starting in the hold position on the runway.As the paintwork is concerned, the various elements might be turned around and mirrored to adapt them to the way this model reads them.With Steve's cockpit, the right paintjob and revised flight dynamics this will be an interesting addition to our hangars. best regards,Hans Petter

FLYING: Is quite pleasant, great acceleration, and good flight characteristics. Much like my radio controlled Gee Bee "Z". Elevator & ailerons are a tad overly sensitive, and really don't need to be. Aircraft was designed to fly a smooth pylon race course pattern, and not be aerobatic like the Sukhoi. Landing is actually easier then the Mustang, as it does not float. No flaps are needed. Touchdown and roll-out is great.( What's with the 4 bladed prop ? )

Been flying Markus' Gee Bee Alpha for about a week now and really enjoy it. It took but a few minutes to learn how to land it, but a few hours to learn how to take it off straight. It must be a problem with the model, it wants to roll to the right at the beginning of take-off run, which is OPPOSITE torque. Turning "Torque Off" has no effect.It's going to be a real joy to fly, and valuable addition to our hangers when finished.Jim