Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Challenges

I don't currently have the FU3 Challenges installed, but I would be interested to receive any information about these from other FU3 users. How many are there ? Are any of them interesting ? How do these challenges compare to the variety offered in FU2's twenty five adventures ?Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

I did a few challenges - but then got stuck on rescuing peoplefrom Mt Rainier - too difficult to control the Renegade on the ice!I think the challenges were good, but like you, I never used themmuch. For me the challenge was always to get up, stay up, thenget down safe. And lately I've found the purpose of those decorative stretches of concrete with numbers on them - I think I'm gettingthe hang of landing ...

Robert,I have been trying to land the Mooney on all of the small dirt strips in both scenery regions lately. That maybe should be classed as a CHALLENGE all by itself !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

I think so! The old Mooney never wants to come down when youwant it too! It floats like a balloon - and the FU3 manual saysdon't cold shock the motor by dropping power too much. Use thespeedbrake instead. But I have Scottish ancestors and feel thatusing a brake is a waste of good energy. I drive like that too.

Guest jonpoint

My experience with the Mooney is to plan landings well ahead. Unlike many small aircraft, the Mooney is heavy and needs speed and power to compensate. My first few tries had me careening down the runway at ~130kts (which resulted in a few bent planes ;) ). You just can't 'drop out of the sky' and land the thing (well, you CAN but it's not called 'landing'). I found the key to be invaluable :-hahIt is by no means an easy aircraft to land on short strips. You kind-of have to treat it like a KingAir!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,Landing after doing a circuit is not too difficult, due to the fact that the speed never really gets above 100 knots. Of course, approaches using the "Chris Low" method (using the throttle instead of the trim wheel) may help. :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris, it's throttle AND trim wheel, actually in reversed order!Trim it up, drop the gear ("undercarriage" in your case :-)), set flaps and THEN use the throttle to fine-tune the descent. Look for 500 fpm, cut the engine right before touchdown and flare a bit. Voila -- another great landing :-jumpy best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Allan_D

Hi Jon,You kind-of have to treat it like a Kingair!If you have DLM's version of the Kingair, it is a very sweet Plane, That one handles like a dream, It is very easy to control, You can set that Plane down about anywhere you'd like. Kinda tight fit on the Bridge but it works :-lolhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d87c63926655166.jpgIt sounds great, Flies great, and handles great. The most important thing in any of the flight games your using is to have your controls set realistic, Trim, Yoke, Pedals, Start at your control panel, Make sure you push, pull the maximun on your yoke. joystick? before you click ok,That will help make your controls more realisticThe Mooney is a piece of cake, I can land that about anywhere :-lolMaybe not on the Dome but on about any other Airstrip in this Area. Have Fun :-beerchughttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gifAllan

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes, yes but its also one of the few planes where you need to know where the speed brake is. I fly traffic patterns, but sometimes you have to really work at losing energy to get into a safe landing configuration, and the Stemme and the Mooney (totally different planes) really make you work at this. But once you're in the right place on finals, U/C down, then, OK, you're right. You throttle and trim and flap!!!! And steer, And correct, and talk on the radio, andyour nearest and dearest says dinners on the table just at DH, ...Robert D.

Guest Steffen

Hi Chris,I just made it back home after a summer of Skydiving - that's why I found this post so late.I do find some of the challenges in FU3 quite interesting (and easy to fly). The one where you have to rescue the hikers is surely the hardest and frustrating one - but the challenge where you have to stop a fleeing speedboat with the Lake or the one where you have to fly a cameraman are really easy and great fun!And the "new" challenges in the library like FU3 Pro and Hennie's Mega Seattle (or my B747) are great challenges which both give you a task AND do truly have the possibilty of enhancing the flying experience in FU3.However, I do agree that the total number of challenges in FU3 is not as big as those in FU2 - BUT if there are requests on which favourite FU2 challenge should be converted for FU3, that should be possible (like the "Need for Speed" challenge).Right now I'll have another winter of relative boredom in front of me, so if there are any challenge projects I can start (or any ideas how to improve the B747 or DC3 challenges), I'll gladly do it. So if anyone of you guys has any ideas/improvements/wishes, I'm looking forward to hearing (and trying to realise) them.Blue Skies, Steffen.