Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rich Wren

UK region airports and nav beacons

Guest Rich Wren

I've finally got my hands on Christian's UK region and I can't describe just how impressive it looks, I'd post screenshots but I need to sort out ftp through the firewall first.Anyway, I fired up FLED yesterday and placed a few beacons around in order to help my navigation. VFR with a road atlas and memory isn't very professional. I'm thinking about putting some runways down so that I'm not limited to flying out of London City or the Scilly Isles all the time. Has anyone built any airport models already?

Guest Quaxo

Hi Rich,Do you mean you only see London City and the Scilly Island's airports? That's strange. I've done a package including some airports (10-15, I don't remember, should check), no airport models but there is a runway definition and a parking spot, so you can start from there, (and log your flights when you land on those airports). Didn't you install it?If you don't have that package email me, and I'll email it to you (it's very small).Cheers,Cristian

Guest Quaxo

Just checked, currently I have added 11 airports.Cristian

Guest Rich Wren

well sort of anyway.I just found 7 more airports on the CDs, Gatwick, Heathrow, Stanstead, Lee-on-Solent, Goodwood, Bembridge and Southend. Amazing what you find when you look hard enough.Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has put any paving down on any of the runways or started placing buildings yet?Incidentally, I noticed that when placing nav beacons by Lat/Long position, they'd be located a few miles away from where they should be. A good example would be the Shoreham NDB (332 SHM). My data has it located at 50

Guest Quaxo

Hi Rich,Well you have found only 7 airports because that is the old package, now I have added some others. I'll send you the update.As for the coordinates, well, that's a known problem. The region coordinates still don't match well with the terrain.We have to modify some numbers in the region.cfg file, but we have no instructions, so we can only go by trial and error (and they're strange numbers, one controls the 'scale', one the rotation and so on, it's difficult...). If you send me your added NDB's though, I can see if I can modify the coordinates so that the NDB go in the right place.(I don't know how NDB's are added: are they FLED objects?)Cristian

Hi Rich,There are just 2 Airport (Scillys and London City) and just London City is near finished with settings and models.Important is the fact that you must have a valid setting of the elevation before setting models to the ground or you will have to do it again after the elevation of the megatile is imported.see GeoTilesViewer and the file in your geos folder to see which tiles are generated, there are about 20 at the time and all are around London. Scilly Island has an elevation tile but it is worse.I am still searching a way to get better elevation data.:-wave agtim