Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Is anyone having problems with my UnicomTower package ?

I would like to know if anyone has encountered any problems with my recently uploaded UnicomTower package. My own testing has confirmed that it works perfectly on my install of FU3, but I sent a pre-release copy to a friend for testing, and he is experiencing some problems. This is what he has found:-1. The ATIS frequencies at Davis Woodland Winters and Jefferson County are not working. All he gets are a series of clicks (like activating the PCL lighting).2. Some of the airports are missing from the Traffic Advisory and IFR destination lists.There is a known problem with the latter, whereby Gnoss and Scotts Valley do not appear on the lists. However, Gnoss can still be selected by pressing option "7" on the list A-G (even though it is invisible). However, this is the ONLY problem that I have detected with my package.One interesting thought that I had regarding the first problem concerns the particular user's install history. You are all probably aware that I do NOT have the outer terrain scenery installed, and therefore the two high resolution scenery areas are completely separate. However, this is not the case when the outer terrain scenery is installed, and since my friend DOES have this scenery installed, this could be the cause of the problem. The significant part about this is that I have allocated EXACTLY THE SAME ATIS FREQUENCY to both Davis Woodland Winters and Jefferson County. That doesn't matter on my PC, because they are in completely separate areas. However, that may not be the case if the outer terrain scenery is present. This scenery allos the user to fly BETWEEN these two areas, and that could change everything.I would very much like to hear any reports from other users regarding this problem (both with and without outer terrain scenery installed).Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. I have uploaded another package today that adds control tower models to each of the six upgraded airports.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris, I'm waiting for feedback on this one before I install it since had serious AI plan / packages conflicts on my previous PC. But I can tell you this, with the outer terrain installed any multiple use of same frequency will wreak havoc. This could very well be the main reason why us "outer terrain guys" run into problems with some add-ons while it works fine on your PC. This is an aside but I plan to set up a second installation of FU3 with the new hi-res regions, England and Switzerland, only. Well, it's not really off-topic and here's a suggestion: Since FU3 doesn't need to be in the registry we may keep as many copies of it as we please. With plenty of disk space one might install one copy with the outer terrain and one without it. An extended area with regions connected through the outer terrain is nice for flying the Beechjet and the B747. In any event, a total backup plan would be a good idea for anything that modifies the default airports / AI set-up. I'm just very afraid of running into problems again :-eek best regards,Hans Petter

Hans,The use of the same ATIS frequency is something that can be very easily corrected, but I am not sure why my friend is having problems with the missing airports on the Traffic Advisory and IFR Destination lists. He had this problem once before (when I had added AI planes to several small airfields in both scenery regions), but on that occasion I also had the same problems. When I corrected this on my PC (and subsequently released an upgraded package), the problems ceased on both of our PC's. So I'm not sure if the outer terrain scenery is the cause of that particular problem.Anyway, you are wise to be cautious. Any modification that ruins a user's enjoyment of FU3 is obviously a BAD THING ! :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

There is one good point to note here about the Traffic Advisory and IFR Destination lists after installing this package. It appears that OAKLAND INTERNATIONAL is now selectable. I have NEVER seen (or been able to select) Oakland on these lists before, so this makes me VERY HAPPY :-coolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png