Sign in to follow this  
Guest cornclose

Specular Lighting...

Guest cornclose

Does anyone use the haze method of specular highlights in FU3 ?I've been experimenting with various settings in flt3.cfg and when I specify specular for the haze effects, although it improves performance, I still occasionally get black clouds and rather bright edges to the higher level clouds, which according to the readme file says that the driver is not handling it correctly.I know my card (Geforce2 GTS) supports specular highlights, so I assume it's a driver issue. I am using nVidea's 30.82 now, but was using 29.42 before and get black clouds on both (every now and then).I'd like to fix this, so does anyone use a driver which does NOT give these nasty black clouds ?ThanksChris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Chris,I used to have all three haze methods set to specular, but those black clouds annoyed me, so I changed to multipass. It doesn't seem to make any great difference.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest cornclose

Thanks Chris,Well, specular does indeed improve frame rate a lot on my system, and it also gives a non-blocky haze as the readme suggests. Multipass does produce a bit of blockyness on my system, hence me wanting multipass to work. But I cannot get rid of the black clouds. I will be trying multiple driver versions to see if I can get rid, perhaps even going back to some very old nvidea drivers. I'll let you know what happens....RegardsChris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Chris,Hmmm, I thought that the specular method was the most processor intensive, but maybe I'm wrong. Since I almost always fly with a clear sky (to enable the framerate to stay at a sensible level), I will change back to specular and see if I get a framerate increase.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest cornclose

Chris,You would only get a frame rate increase with specular if you had some objects to apply specular highlights to, typically the clouds.But even so, it may provide an improvement in clear skies.It is only processor intensive if it cannot be done in hardware, which it indeed can on the Geforce2 GTS an up.Chris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)