Sign in to follow this  
Guest cornclose

Haze Method Poll Please ...

Guest cornclose

OK, following on from my last post regarding specular lighting, I would like to ask all you FU3'ers a few things about your setup and hope that most of you will take the time to reply. Could you post your :-1. Video card2. Video card driver version3. DirectX version4. Your Operating System5. Your settings in flt3.cfg for your HazeMethods, either fog, multipass or specular.I would like to determine which video card/driver/DirectX/OS combinations DO NOT produce black clouds when using specular as the haze method. Even if you do not use specular, I would still be grateful of your feedback.Sorry to be a pain !!Thanks in advance chappies.Chris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Chris,Well, I used to get black clouds with specular lighting using the following setup:-1. 64Mb GeForce 3 Ti 2002. Detonator 30.823. DirectX 84. Windows ME5. ALL SpecularHowever, my setup has been modified recently, so I will need to experiment to see if I still suffer problems. I now use Windows XP, and Detonator 41.09 drivers. I will let you know if this makes a difference.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Voodoo 5 5500"amigamerlin" Win2000/XP driver for the cardWin 2000DirectX 8All SpecularMah cloudz're all white 'n perty :-)Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

Chris E,1. GeForce4 MX 442. 6.13.10.3150 Detonator 31.503. 9 sumthik, as I recall its the latest ofishal releesed version.4. Windows XP Home Edition.5. I do not hav the line HazeMethod in my cfg, so without serching throo reems and reems of doquments to find out what the difalt Haze Method is,I dont know what Haze Method I am useing.Thees are the only lins I hav in my cfg that hav the words haze or method in them.use_haze_cache haze_cache_size 512000haze_lowlevelhazelevel 0.1It woud help us to help you if you gave us the lins that prodce the diferant methods.Then we could try them an sner you.glidernut. ENGLAND

John,The default haze methods are MULTIPASS for models and sky, and SPECULAR for terrain. You can find this information in the README file.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

Hi Chris E.,Not the latest and greatest equipment I have here; but when it comes to Flight1/2/3 and Jas, - Oooh-La-La! :)1. Video card: Voodoo V5-5500PCI2. Video card driver version: Driver Name: 3dfx16vs.drv Driver Version: 4.12.01.05843. DirectX version: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)4. Your Operating System: Win98SE5. Your settings in flt3.cfg for your HazeMethods, either fog, multipass or specular: HazeMethod SpecularJim B.

Guest cornclose

Thanks guys, but keep 'em coming.When I used my Voodoo 5500, I never had black clouds either, but I don't recall the specular method on the 5500 being as nice in terms of visual quality as the Geforce2 GTS - when it works that is.Chris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Guest R_Driscoll

I'm using an nvidia card, but wouldn't have a clue what one. I bought the computer many years ago. I used specular for a long time, and occasionally had black cloud effects - esp sunsets at distance or onset of storm fronts. When I put together the annotated FLT3.CFG file, I switched to multipass because everyone else seemed to and it gave more consistent results. I don't know if anyone uses my FLT3.CFG file anymore, as most people found that by experimenting they could find settings better suited to their own computers, and anyway there were limits to what could be done with the clouds. But (at the risk of beating my own drum) the advantage of using this file with comments was that you could easily restore defaults, making it easier to experiment. Its still there in the AVSIM library. It includes Laurie Doering's weather work (corrected for true atmosphere height), Peter James ideal file, random selection of ambient air and a few other tricks.RobD.

Guest cornclose

Thanks Robert,I already have your documented flt3.cfg file thanks, and am in the process of tweaking my config file some more to see what I can get out of my setup. Also will be trying a few more video driver versions over the next week too.It seems that most non-Voodoo owners are not using specular anyway. I am beginning to wonder if nvidea never bothered too much with support for specular highlights, I think they moved on to Transform & Lighting in hardware, which of course the Voodoo range could never do. This may be a reason why 3dfx got it right and nvidea have not (yet?) and are unlikely to since I doubt very many games or sims will use specular highlights in future.Chris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Guest jonpoint

Chris,I'll "poll in" tomorrow. I don't have the details handy right now. I started with Rob's cfg file and toyed around (a lot) 'coz my clouds were too orange and some white clouds never went away. I DID play with the haze settings though and I'll let you know what I did.FYI,Win98SE (what else?)Nvidia GE4 MX440 (I'll check the settings but I run 30.82 so it's limited)DX8.1 (it works)Det 30.82 (it works)Sorry for the slowness but my FU3 time has been entirely taken-up with testing and sorting the (new)Dash-8 - the gliders are but light relief ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************