Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

An observation

I installed the Nvidia Detonator 44.03 drivers a week ago, and used RivaTuner to set the anti-aliasing to 4xS, and the anisotropic filtering to 8x. However, when I started up FU3, I noticed that these features were not working properly. The distant mountains had that annoying "stepping", and some of the terrain textures were shimmering a bit. I am pretty sure that some level of FSAA and aniso was being done, but nowhere near as good as it should have been.Anyway, I decided to uninstall these drivers (with the help of a little utility called Detonator R.I.P.), and install the Detonator 43.51 drivers (which Jon had mentioned were good, and also my version of RivaTuner apparently supported). Oh dear, same problem. At this point, I also noticed that there was no "bleed through line" on the cockpit panel, or in any of the other cockpit views. This made me wonder whether FSAA and aniso was being implemented AT ALL.So, I decided to uninstall these drivers and install the Windows XP version of the Detonator 30.82 drivers. I had used the Windows 9x version of this driver set when I was using Windows ME. I have just tried running FU3 with these drivers, and the quality of the visuals is once again superb. I now have FSAA running at 4xS (I can tell the MASSIVE difference over standard 4x), and aniso at 8x. The "stepping" on the distant mountains (and my own plane) has disappeared, and the terrain textures "don't shimmer no more". The "bleed through line" is also back, but I would rather have this than crap graphics. :-)I have included this little story as a warning to anyone with a GeForce 3 graphics card (I have a 64Mb Ti 200). The older Detonator 30.82 drivers work far better with RivaTuner and FU3 than some of the latest Detonators (and you will need a utility like RivaTuner to enable FSAA at 4xS). Maybe there is a conflict here between the latest Nvidia driver sets, and RivaTuner. I don't know. What I do know is that the visual quality in my install of FU3 is VASTLY superior when using the older Detonators.**END OF TRANSMISSION**Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Chris Low,Just like you, after hoohah informed us of the latest drivers, I also installed the Nvidia Detonator 44.03 drivers a week ago, and just like you, I also used RivaTuner to set the anti-aliasing to 4xS, and the anisotropic filtering to 8x. And just like you, when I started up FU3, I noticed that these features were not working properly. The distant mountains had that annoying "stepping", and some of the terrain textures were shimmering a bit.And just like you, I was pretty sure that some level of FSAA and anisowas being done, but nowhere near as good as it should have been.But this is where you and I went ouwer separat ways.I opend the Nvidia icon that had been put in the tray by the instalation of the Detonator 44.03 drivers, and swiched a seting from "BEST PERFORMANCE"to "BEST PICTCHER QUOLATY".And gess what.No mor annoying "stepping" on the distant mountains.No mor shimmering terrain textures.FU3 visual quolaty back to normal.I then run a bench testing program "3DMark2000" to see if there was anyimprooment with thees new 44.03 drivers.Yes there is a 10% improoment. Mostly in textuer rendering speeds.The 44.03 drivers, are the best iv had.Im stiking with them.Dont shoot,glidernut.:-wave

Thanks for the alternative suggestion. Now other users have two possible solutions, and I have one less incentive to shoot ! :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png