Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Issues

I haven't been able to download anything from Avsim lately. Somehow the new library format clashes with something on my PC. Has anyone here downloaded and installed the Windows service packs? There might be an issue here.Secondly, I find that my main FU3 installation closes down in an abnormal way. If I select the Seattle region I can select any plane and any airport and fly wherever I want. However, as I exit the flight the sim exits to the desktop. Result, the flight isn't being logged and next time I launch the sim I'm always back to San Jose and a Piper. Flights in the SanFran region seem to exit the right way but it's always San Jose and a Piper as I launch another flight, no matter what I plane I was flying or where I ended up. And, the previous flight has not been entered into the log.My Switzerland version of FU3 exists the way it's supposed to exit. It logs the latest flight and remembers the latest aircraft and the latest destination. Any ideas?best regards,Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

I don't have any good ideas on this. I think you are running each region as independent installations, so are you possibly running three different logbooks, depending on which region you are in? If so, the LGS logbook has always been buggy and that might be the problem (I logged 99 flights and my logbook has never worked since).But more likely is that there are bugs in two of the three installations - soft bugs that allow you to fly but still cause memory leakage so that resetting the monitor display (as FU3 exits) causes a fatal error. Try these:1) delete a few airports, might free up memory2) make sure your model sets are uptodate (FLED is very poor in this area - small changes in models can cause big problems)3)uninstall your latest package, i.e. try to return to your last working version.Since we are constantly changing FU3, we should expect problems like this and usually its one of the above three for me - I have got into the habit of having two backup versions of the UKS configuration at all times. Strangely, UKS is by far the most stable version at present - Seattle CTD recently for me and its been decades since I last flew SanFran.Hopefully someone has some more concrete advice?RobD.

OK, but the other problem is quite annoying too. As I wrote, I can't download anything from the Avsim library anymore. I can browse through the files and I can post messages but downloads are blocked. I've posted a few messages on the library forum but I'm still stuck.Something went awry when Avsim changed to the new library format and / or when I installed the MS service packs for Win 2000. I've been checking out the usual issues but everything seems fine. Even when I disable my Norton firewall the downloads fail. Further, any of my three browsers fail to get any files from Avsim. Thus, there's some feature of my current OS that blocks FTP from Avsim. The new Avsim library stands out in that there's a lot of "indirection" going on -- files are accessed from one server and actually reside on another. This is exactly the stuff that triggers firewalls since unwanted downloads from a "rogue" site may piggyback on sites you elect to visit. Hence, the new Avsim library protocol will look very suspect to a firewall on guard, unless you grant Avsim full rights and make an exception. I believe I've done what I can to grant Avsim sites and sub-sites any and every right to access my PC in any non-standard way whatsoever :-hmmmAre the rest of you OK with the current library?Hans Petter

Guest twsimfan

Hans,I have not ideas on your abnormal shutdown problems. Have you tried sending e-mail to the library managers?library@avsim.com

I've posted to the library forum. Their advice is to check with my ISP. Well, since downloads from any other site work fine my ISP would tell me what I know already -- there's some peculiar things going on that are limited to this specific site.Users of Win XP may have gotten the MS firewall turned on by the service packs. But then, my Win 2000 doesn't have a built-in firewall to turn on in the first place. Still, I suspect that the service packs may have turned on some hidden feature that blocks "roundabout" or "indirect" download protocols. Anyone else using Win 2000? If so, have you installed the service packs?Hans Petter

For your interest, you are not the only one with problems. Being on a dial up connection I use a download manager so that I can resume where I left off if there is a problem. The manager works with every download EXCEPT Avsim. I too have tried adjusting the settings in my firewall (NOT the Microsoft one, I've disabled that) and nothing helps. I just have to stick to plain old IE. Typical problem was yesterday downloading Rob's UK-SouthGen update - after two hours and with 3 minutes to go, it crashed and I had to start again. Wish I knew what was going on! Ches