Sign in to follow this  
Guest glidernut

Sounds in FU3

Guest glidernut

Package developers can enhance there packagees a lot by ataching soundsto models, which is grate for things like crains, tranins, botes, and things like that, but if you want to hear sumone having a conversation in a hous, or him singing in a cherch, or perhaps a speech being given in the houses of parliment. or the bos teling sumone off in a oil refinery. Althow I carnt for the life of me think why any one would want to go intoa derty oled oil refinery. you dont want the sound to be hered for myils outsied the bilding.Thats iritating to every one pasing by.You only want thees things to be heared insied a bilding or very close by.So for this reasan Looking Glass Sudiows used a seconed, diferant, way of puting sounds in the woled.Thay atached sounds not to models in fled but to invisibl mathermatical sininders, "well thats how I think thay did it"so that the sound only gets terned on when you enter the invisibl sininder. So you can only hear the sound on entering the sininder.But no one has craked how to do this yet. Perhaps no one has eeven looked at it yet, which is a pity bicous this would be a grate way of puting easter egsin the UK-South.If anyone is interested? the res file contaneing the 18 wav sounds that was put in the worled useing silinders is stored in Flight3 / REGIONS / SEATTLE / GENPILE / FIXLPRES.resOne of the wav files stored there is of a little girl resighting hear alfabet.I imagen she is most probably the dorter of one of the divelopers of Fu3.But she gets the alfabet rong.Thinking this could be sum sort of code, Iv made a not of hear alfabet as shesays it. It gose like this"A B D D z F D H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U E W X Y M D"Then she sings"Now I know my d b,s next time wont you ding with b,s"May be its just a red hering.The above eaesteregg can be hered at Bill's Bluff Seattle.In my game the exact spot has been marked by sumone puting a blou glass cabinon the exact spot, and to hear the little girl I have to put the nose of mypiane right up aganst it and wate at leest 20 seconds bifor she starts singing.glidernut

Guest R_Driscoll

How in the world do you discover these things? But I am concerned about your comment on oil refineries. Just because you and me don't want to go inside a dirty old oil refinery doesn't mean there isn't someone in the world who would give their left arm (or at least a fingernail from the left arm) for the privilege of being allowed just once to enter the hollowed hauls of a refinery! Somewhere. At least one. Coal miners for example. Or people who make fireworks or detonators. Escaped convicts. People with dental appointments. There must be someone somewhere!So Bill's Bluff has another secret? Can we extract these sounds and add them to other scenery? And does sininder mean cylinder?RobD.

Guest glidernut

"Cylinder" yes dats it."Extract them?" Yes. "Atach them to modles?" Yes."Atach them to terrain cylinders?" No not as yet,allthow Steffen Schiedek can atach them to models useing cylinders in a chalange script.glidernut.

Guest R_Driscoll

So probably that's how looking glass did it - this package may be an original LGS package? - hardwired with something like:if (within cylinder) play soundBut we can't do that because we don't have access to the adventure scripts within ordinary package building, do we?RobD.

Guest Steffen

Hi there,as Glidernut said: Implementing this sound playback depending on conditions like:* being near an object* being on the ground* flying lower than, higher than, slower than, faster than,...* whatever you can think of* ...is a piece of cake if done via a challenge script. So creating an "Easter egg" challenge that does nothing but let you fly/zoar/walk around and plays sounds or does funny things is easy - but one would have to start the challenge each time. As the "easter egg locations" would be definded in the markers.dat file, cheating would also be hard, one would have to know/find the locations... :)So if you need help with the script or want me to do the script (after specifiing what to do, when and where), just tell me.Blue Skies, Steffen

Glidernut, the last file in fixlpres.res is a binary data file and looks like UTM coordinates as float value. Each cylinder starts just befor ff ff ff ff float values xx xx xx 42 or 43 or 44.This file must be the definition of the cylinders but the data sequence is unknown or is there a description in the adventure help tutorial ?I can try to find the structure as I did by many other files, last one was the tricky taxigrph.fldand by the way the ship scruise is a tilted special model.If you want to kill the sealion just open FLED without package go to BillsBluff naer the walking cow and double click on it.in the moving object dialog just reset the sound to no sound.have just read Stefen's comment, a second way without challenge is to create a building and a mall moving object inside, about like the radar antenna, then assign the sound to the moving object. the moving object is inside the building and so invisible. :-wave agtim

Guest glidernut

agtim,I have read sumthing about cylinders sumwhere, the CHALSCRP.DOC orthe WHITE-PAPERS or FU2, I dont know.If you can unravl the data sequence or structure in a way that the rest of us can add cylinders with wave sounds, that would be grate.But only work on it if you want, bicous I dont have any particulersound files in mined to use in this way at the moment.And as you rightly point out, we do hav the mooving object way ofplaceing sounds to be going on with.You had me going there for a minit, I had to go and chek see if thewalls of a bilding would stop the sound atached to a small moovingobject within. No it dusant stop the sound escaping.If it helps, I know where all the fixlpres.res sounds are placedin Seattl Sanfran and Outter.I could giv you the Zoar or DMS or Lat/Long coordinates to withinthe cylinders, but not the ded senters of them. I dont know what UTM coordinates are? Steffen,As it hapens, I am working on a hoops chalang sort of thing.All thow its not directly related to easter egg sounds,it is cuming along very well, or was cuming along very well, Iv been stuk on placeing a model on the ground for about a weeknouw and I need your help.I dont want to use fled, not for this.Iill send you what Iv got so far, along with notse as to whats wanted.glidernut.

Hi Glidernut,Yes please, the list will help to decode the binary stuff, thanksUTM coordinates are the flat projection of the world used by FU3UTM = Universal Transverse Mercator projectionits a tangential plane on the world ellipsoid pined at the bottom left corner (aaaa) of the fu3 region.Click on the bottom left field with coordinates in FLED to see UTM values and Megatile code.see www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem.html for moreI use this software to convert the SRTM elevation data from lat/long to UTM mapping so they fit to our UKS terrain. :-wave agtim

Guest glidernut

So UTM = world at the bottom left corner of fled?