Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jim Lynch

The Famous Patch

Guest Jim Lynch

Hi Gyz: I just got back in reloading FU 2,3 after being down for some time, but I forgot about the "PATCH" !Please, Where do I get it ? How do I install it ? And what does it do for me ? ? ? Thanx > Jim Lynch, aka - GeeBeeJim

Guest Jim Lynch

OK, but how is it going to improve SIM performance ?Is there some kind of great improvement that can be expected ?

OK.I will try to answer some of this.The patch will make you able to run FU3 on other videocards than the VOODOO-series, that means the videocards based on NVIDIA chipsets like the Geforce and and other series made by that company. Withouth the patch the sim will not load with those cards.Other fixes with the patch is making the "fled tool" more stable,and some other fixes for several airports made initially, exported from FU2.Best regards.Lars Peter.:-wave

Guest Jim Lynch

>Other fixes with the patch is making the "fled tool" more>stable,>and some other fixes for several airports made initially,>exported from FU2.>>Best regards.>Lars Peter.>:-waveThanks Lars. I am using a Voodoo card, and the SIM is running just fine. Will the " other fixes " be benificial to me ? Will the Fled Tool being more stable, and other fixes improve speed, smoothness, or video picture ? Or, should I just leave things alone ?> Jim

Guest juvat2

Hi,This is the FLIGHT UNLIMITED III PATCH 2.0 README converted to htm.I never uploaded an htm to this forum before so hopefully this works.Hope this was helpful,JimB.Personally, I see no reason to not install this patch.jab.

Guest effyouthree

Dear All,After doing my last PC rebuild, I installed FU3 (in 3 places) without the patch and it works just fine with DX9 and an Nvidia FX card! I then did some framerate tests and got nothing. I think the patch mostly allows one to increase framerates by turning things off (like runway lines etc). The 'story' that without the patch, the lines are always there is not true - they appear as you approach the strip and disappear when you fly away.Also, there is less (?) range in the terrain detail slider - this revelation is how I came to discover setting terrain_detail in the cfg file (set to terrain_detail 199 for improved terrain detail at a distance).Basically, it seems that with a GHz-speed PC, lots of memory, a newish video card, the patch isn't really required. Maybe if someone has a slower PC, they may notice a real difference.Meanwhile, I was just showing my Girlfriend around the office so I'm going back to what I was doing before...Nothing :-lolMerry Christmas :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"