Sign in to follow this  

Wierd Video and Sound probs

Ok, I need some help here. If anybody has had similar probs I'd love to know what is going on. Here's the situation.I'm nearing the end of an hour long flight. I'm on final into Nassau International, and about three miles out, the screen goes dark, then I get these coloured vertical lines on my primary monitor. The secondary monitor is fine. Still have FMS and radio panel up. This is not the first time this has happened. So, I do a hard reboot of the machine, and I get this error message saying that there was an error in the vid card executing a draw command and do I want to upgrade drivers. Foolishly I go sure, thinking that the system might actually go to the manufacturers web site and check for the lastest version. Dumb. Windows does its thing, and installs whatever it found on my hard drive, but when I re-start the computer, the sound is shot. I still get noise, but its a buzzing, staticy like rasp whenever the machine tries to make a sound. Very annoying. So, now I've re-installed drivers for both the sound and video cards (most current from the company web sites), and I am still having the same problem. This seems to be a sound card problem. A similar instance occurred during the upgrade to XP and it was solved by purchasing an XP compliant card. Maybe that's whats happening again, but what are the odds that it would fail right when I've just had a vid card problem? Are the two related somehow?Also, is it time to deep six the video card? This is not the first time it's failed like this in the middle of a flight? Is it possible that the connection inside the machine isn't solid? Would that have the same effect?Help please!Here are my system specsDell 1.9 p4 423 pin system724 mgs of ramLeadtek GeForce2 GTS Pro 64 mg cardTurtle Beach Santa Cruz Video CardWindows XP - Upgrade editionVideo Driver: NVIDIA 5.13.01.2183 from the Leadtek websiteSound Driver 5.12.01.4081-3148 (Signed driver from MS)

You got me a little confused. First, isn't the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz an audio card? Second, does you Leadtek GeForce2 have dual video out? Third, what video drivers were you running prior to updating?When you downloaded the updated drivers, did you make sure you were using the WinXP versions vice Win98/ME versions? The reason I asked this is I have a Soyo Dragon+ that has a built-in C-Media 5.1 system and with the wrong driver, it was very static. Also check your audio cable connections and make sure they are firmly in-place.Another problem with upgrading from earlier Windows to WinXP is sometimes the old drivers are left and WinXP becomes corrupted and tries to use the old drivers. The best way to upgrade is to reformat the Windows partition and start with a clean installation. You seem to have experience some of these problems during your upgrade.

Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing it was the latter, because this morning I uninstalled both the video and the sound cards and re-installed the newest drivers and this time it worked. I'm guessing that somehow the sound driver was corrupted, though I don't know how it would happen changing a video driver! So, back in business, though still waiting in trepdidation for the next black screen in FS.