Sign in to follow this  
Guest glidernut

Help!

Guest glidernut

Can anyone giv me a link to a paint program that is good at distorting imiges?Preferably a simpl easy to use free one.Im using "Paint Shop Pro 7" which is a very good program and has lots of speshial efects, but non of them alow me to distort an imige in the way I want.Im also useing that free "I.Mage" paint program, which is perfect for paintingindividual pixals, but dus not distort in the way I want.Im curantly working on a Vigilant motorglider, and Im having a lot of dificalty creating and distorting the imiges to fit the model.At the moment Im having to moov the UV vertex points around, which is only a partial serlootion, and I end up having to change the shape of the model by mooving the models vertex points as well just to get the model to fit the image. I would much pefer the get the image to fit the model, Im shoower this is the proper way to do it.What I realy need is one of those painting programs that can distort an image at will smoothly.For exampl, giving a face a longer chin, or a biger nows, smoothly, withoutshowing any obvius editing marks.glidernut.

Guest markyc

Hi GlidernutA couple of years ago there was a really impressive open source graphics program called 'The Gimp'. I don't know if it still exists or if it's still a freeby. I know at the time it was supposed to be the best Free graphics program out there. And was often found on PC magazine cover discs.Mark.

Yes it's still there... I am using it for building megatiles for FU3but never use it for distortion of images. :-wave agtim

Guest glidernut

Hi Mark, agtim,Iv just got the free GIMP program you spoke of, and Im still exploring its menyposibilatis, but it seems that its abl to do everything exept distort an imigein the way I whant.But thanks for that anyway.I think the sort of distortions Im after is caled "morfing" but I couldbe rong about that.glidernut.

Guest glidernut

Kai,Yes it seems Photo-Brush dus indead hav a "warp" featier which is very similer to the morfing distortions that Im looking for. Iv just been playing with it on a demo vershion, and unfortunatly this"warp" featier is very limited in its aplication, not inuf control overit usege to be usefall.glidernut.

Guest markyc

Have you tried using the 'user defined' effects on PSP7? or perhaps try their website.Mark:)

Guest fu3

John,I have a number of morphing progs including one that seems good for what you want. I am going to do an example first and show you. Basically, you open the image to warp and a prperly-scaled image (screenshot from 3D program). You then define points on the first image and these same points appear on the second image, which you move to the correct positions. Sounds OK? Here's the tricky part - you then open the first image again OVER the second one, so you now have 2 identical images but the the points are different. Hit "morph" and save the second image - Voila!All fine in theory but I'll try it out first befoore I lead you astray. BTW, it's freeware and not new (16 bit Win3.1 vintage) but I can't remember the name right now. E-Z Morph or SimpleMorph or something like that. It depends how much detail you have (I wouldn't recommend this with 256x256 images!). The program says that it double-sizes images before calculating but may attempt at morphing Clare from 2 years old to 13 created a lot of artefacts.I'll have to email it to you but I think its <1Meg.We'll see :-wave

Guest musikai

Hi John,my first thought to your quesetion was, ah there was such a program on that fantastic share- and freeware Cd-rom I got 10 years ago. Now I really found that thing and the prog was "Anmanie".It's freeware and you can get it here.http://www.wintotal.de/softw/index.php?rb=52&id=573Next to some grow, shrink, skew tools there's also a warp tool but it's basically the same as in Photobrush so you have to zoom in or out enough to make good use of it.Anotherone to try where you can set regions with outlines.http://xiberpix.homestead.com/SqirlzLite.html Perhaps you come along with it, I don't really get it.CiaoKai

Guest glidernut

Jon,Doubling the size of an image bifor useing a speshal efect and then redusing itafter, is a good tip from Jon, not just for morfing.MarkUsing the 'user defined' part of a speshal efect is also a good tip by Mark.Well it is in PSP7, the 'user defined' part often has additional controls.agtim,Google search, O, ye, Google search cums up with a lot mor than what ever search engin I was using. Thanks agtim, Iv now got no les than 7 diferant morfing program demose on mydesktop.It seems that distorting by morfing is by its very nacher slightly mor complex than other sorts of distorting or worping, and it needs to be a littl mor complex in order to hav full controle over its afect. Most of the morfing programs Iv looked at so far use dots to difine the senter of adistortion airia on one image and another dot on another image.But most of thees programs that use dots, dont hav a difinabl airia and shapearound the dots, so the resalt is a bit hit and miss.Thees programs are not realy good inuf.musikai,The "Anmanie" program? I dont hav a cloo about this one, its in a foran langwich for a start.Iill look at it agen later.But this "Sqirlz lite" morfing program sejested by "Kai" has all that is needed.http://xiberpix.homestead.com/SqirlzLite.html It uses a central dot or dots ie, a spine to difin the midl of the distortion airiaand also the surounding airia and shape.I think this is the one for me. And its easy to use as morfing programs go. And its free.Perfect.Iill tel you whair this is usefall, its usefal when in CockpitDesigner and youdont hav a fotograf of the panal to use, and you hav to create one.The diles and swiches can simply be copy and paste fron elswhere, the textuerbitween the diles and swiches is easy, its the same all over, but the rim surounding the panal, useualy molded plastik or cuvered by a fabrik like lether, this is not so easy. Well its easy to create the strate bit along the top of the panal,but bending it round and doun the left side of the panalsmoothly without it going blerd or showing dusans of editing marke was all butimposibl bifor this littl morfing program.glidernut.:-wave

Guest fu3

John,I played with my morphing prog, then I tried theis 'Squirls' thingy. It's much easier to use and fits the job better!Thanks, Kai :-wave