Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Poor man's nightlight

I figured I would try to add some nightlights by creating a 2D model that showed during the night but not during the day. In other words, a rectangle with a transparent day texture and light spots once it switches to the night model. It works. However, I don't know what the frame rate consequences would be with a really large one.I've been trying for some time to attach a small zip with the pertinent BINs and MIPs but it won't go through. In any event, daytime transparency and nighttime light spots did the trick.Hans Petter

Hi Hans,Why don't you hold off a few days and give LightGen2 a try. I think using models is going to whack your frame rate, and the lighting won't follow the elevation contours.Your concept would probably work great where you wanted a small area lit fairly accurately.Which region are you trying to build the lights for?Cheers Bruce H

Guest fu3

H-P,I tried a similar thing but I thought the transparency might slow things a bit. If you did one large model to cover an area, it would affect the transparency & nightlights of any models under it. If you put 2 transparencies together (or 2 nightmips), you can get weird effects (like your landing light beams being made of FBO textures :-lol ), or one or both models may disappear entirely. I got this effect with my trees at Pillar Point Harbour - at night, the building lights don't appear in the transparent parts of the trees! With separate models not occupying the same piece of ground, the problem disappears :-rollAttached at the bottom is another attempt of mine at this - using transparent cubes that light up at night. No mips, no night models (no polygons either!!) and they work OK close-up. If you're wondering about the layout, use one at night as a moving model - they're car headlights :-lol I use them on a few bridges but you have to set the height in FLED or they'll run across the water ;-) As moving models though, they DO affect framerate a bit - as each moving model added to a scene does.An adaptation of this would be to create a large, fixed model with cubes placed where you want lights. This would not affect other models placed near them - and if it did, they're only 100mm (transparent) cubes, so you probably wouldn't see them.Ah, the things one does when bored... Regards,Jon Point

Guest fu3

Hey Bruce,You online? What, finished the house(or has the missus gone shopping)?:-lolI'm all dressed-up, awaiting a call from "Her Nibs" as we, well, converse electronically...Regards,Jon Point

Hi Jon,Back@work today. Getting a bit tired of plastering, painting and chippery....Documentation nearly done. Hopefully you will have it by, say, November? :-lol Anyway, back to it..