Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Simple backup

This may be old news to a lot of us but here's a tip. I decided to put a copy of my Seattle/SanFran FU3 installation on my father's computer. I'll be using it when I visit and he might even take to simming once he sees what it's all about. However, rather than going through the whole installation process and then adding addons, tweaks and packages I just burned the whole thing on a data DVD. Then I pasted the whole thing into a folder with the exact same path as the original. It works as intended. This approach does not put anything in the registry but FU3 does not require that. All it takes is a shortcut to the main exe on the desktop.There may be issues with different video cards and custom settings. If so, one can always delete the fancy cfg and let FU3 create a new basic one.So, there's no need to worry about scratched installation disks anymore, provided you have a working installation already. Just burn the whole thing on a data DVD and you won't have to reinstall anything in case you buy a new PC.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This sounds good, Hans. I suspicioned that may be the case. I am not very computer savvy at all... but I just about have my new machine built. I've never done it before, but I assume I can transfer the same folder to my new machine via an ethernet cable.The new machine will be an upper end affair because I want to be able to run FSX, but never want to part with my long time favorite, FU-3. When I installed Chris' San Fran 2006, it slowed the frame rates substantially to the point where, though I loved the models... I could not fly acceptably (FPS) with anything other than clear skies away from the metropolis. I have an old AMD processor just over a gig in speed. The new one will be a Core 2 Duo E6700 liquid cooled and overclocked to about 4 ghz. So I'm sure my love affair with FU-3 will be revived.I could even finish the UK updates with the new maps, I believe. TSo glad to know, I won't need to re-install (with packages, extra airports, etc)!!! Thanks for the post.Take care, Steve