Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Sounblaster Live & Smoothness in FS

Hello Simmers!I am posting this information for any of you who may be having performance problems related to you SoundBlaster Live! Card.I few days ago, I posted an inquiry about performance issues with flight simulator and the SoundBlaster 5.1 X-Gamer Live! series of sound cards. I was getting a lot of stuttering and horrible frame rates in FS after a clean install of Windows XP pro.I'm happy to report that I have cleared up my problem, and I am now getting very good FPS and smoothness in FS2K2.After spending many hours reviewing posts from this forum, and many others, I have determined that the problem was directly tied to the UPDATED drivers for the SoundBlaster Live! series of cards from Creative, that fix Windows XP compatability problems.I have fully removed the Creative Labs drivers and I am now using the default drivers that where originally installed by Windows XP Pro.I now get FPS of 22-25 (Locked @ 25) and NO stuttering at all, even at the higher density airports! I am actually getting MUCH, MUCH, better performance than I did with Windows ME and FS2K2 with Windows XP Pro, now that I am NOT using the Creative drivers.Also, I'm still able to use the EAX effects in my other games that are enabled for them, but I am not able to change any of the settings for EAX capability, since the Creative drivers / software specifically handled this. (A trade off for good performance in FS2K2.)I am however able to use my Inspire 5.1 surround speakers just fine with the basic Windows XP driver. All five of my channels and subwoofer are working well. I was able to configure my speakers in the Windows XP speaker selection mode for the 5.1 surround speakers. I also have Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP, which has some additional sound / speaker enhancement capability. I DO get surround effects with several of my games and when watching DVD's on my computer.I also get FULL, RICH, sound with NO popping or crackling using the Windows XP default driver. This was supposed to be an issue, that the VIA 4-in-one driver update addressed, but I have found that by making sure the "LINE-IN" is MUTED in windows, this issue is solved, WITHOUT the 4-in-1 update.Thank you to all of you who replied to my last post! Your suggestions were very helpful! I hope this update helps others who may have the SoundBlaster Live! Cards and are having performance issues in games related to those sound cards.I don't know if this will work for other systems, but for mine it has made a tremendous difference with the performance of Flight Simulator 2002.Happy Simming!Scott :-beerchugATP/CFII - In the real aviation world!My System Specs:Intel PIII 1GHZ (Built this one myself)512MB SDRAM120GB Hard Disk(s)Via motherboard chipset (Win XP Default drivers - NOT the update!)Visiontek Geforce 4 MX440 64MB DDR-RAMDual 17" monitorsSound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1 Card (Acceleration set @ standard)(Windows XP DEFAULT drivers for the Creative sound card - NOT Creative's update!)Creative Inspire 5.1 surround speakersCH Products flight sim yoke & rudder pedalsMicrosoft Force feedback joystickWindows XP ProAGP Tweaked using NVMAXMS Flight Simulator 2K2 Settings:All sliders in display set to MAX settings except:Terrain Mesh complexity @ 70Cloud Density @ 90Dynamic Scenery @ NORMALMax visibility @ 90mi.No ground shadowsResolution: 1240 X 1024 16 bit modeT&L: EnabledTriple Buffering: EnabledNO - Anti-ailsingAll other display settings enabledSound in FS: Set to the BEST qualityATC: set at 40%Many add-on aircraft & over 2GB of Eddie Denney's RealScene Terrain Mesh Scenery are installed

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm running the SBLive5.1MP3 card with just the CD drivers and through reading these posts found that turning the acceleration down to basic in the window that opens by running dxdiag in the run box on the start menu resulted in a very noticeable framerate increase with no discernable loss of sound quality. I just wish that EAX was half the quality of A3D. The A3D sound from my Montego II card just plain blew away the Soundblaster when it was supported. Example of a sim supporting A3D would be the Freespace series.

If you are using an Speech Recognition programs, but not with FS2002, you need to turn them off. Microsoft has indicated the Microphone input may still be open, which can cause spurious noise into your system and cause funny things to happen.