Sign in to follow this  
Guest KevR

Can't change joystick Axis

Guest KevR

Hi,I have recently installed FUIII on my notetbook computer to use when I want to do some simming aways from my desktop.On my notebook I am using a game controller for flying and would like to use the Z axis for the rudders. This axis is set to throttle by default.I tried adding;rudder_device 1 3 to the flt3.cfg file but nothing happens.In experimenting, I cannot seem to get any of the default axises to change in FUIII either on my notebook or desktop. It is like the device settings in the flt3.cfg file have no effect.Just thought I'd post here and see if anyone had any ideas?Thanks.

I have been using FU III with rudder pedals for years now and the way to go about is to add a string of commands as you did. I haven't got FU III on the computer I'm posting from now but the commands have been listed several times before and should be in the archives.

Guest KevR

I knew I had forgotten something. The patch fixed the problem on my desktop. At my desktop I now have my gameport ch yoke, usb rudder peddles and usb ch TQ all working in FUIII was they should. On my notebook I have not been able to 'Z' axis of the game controller (an xbox 360 controller) to work at the rudders. Since I have set up three devices on my desktop I don't think that it is due to any lack of understanding on my part, but more likely some unusual way that MS uses in it's drivers for identifing it's controllers. Even a dump to the joyinfo.txt file shows no infomantion on it. I've decided not to worry about the controller isue as I am thinking of getting an inexpensive flight stick for using with my notebook. Thanks, Bruce and Hans for the responses.Kevin

Guest Annihilannic

Is there any way to reverse an axis in FU3?I've just started learning to fly in real life, and now I find that the rudder axis (z-axis rotational on my Evo stick) feels completely wrong in the default direction, so I keep turning the wrong way. i.e. for left rudder, you push your left foot forward, so it seems more natural to twist the joystick clockwise.I've tried using the Saitek profiler to reverse the sense of the axis, but no luck there, unfortunately missing that simple feature. I also tried a third party virtual joystick utility (PPJoy); no luck either. Any ideas? TIA, AnnihilannicETA: Oh, and what does the 'co-ordinated rudder' option on the aircraft options screen do? It is opt_coordinated_rudder in flt3.cfg.

Last thing first, coordinated rudder means that you can fly without pedals / twist stick since the rudder is then linked to the ailerons. This works fine unless you require separate rudder control, for instance during a crosswind landing. Most flightsimmers used "coordinated rudder" before twist sticks or proper pedals were commonplace.FU3 has got it wrong when it comes to torque since the aircraft torque in the opposite direction. With aircraft engines that turn in the "normal" direction you'll have to kick right rudder to compensate for torque. Can we reverse the torque in the flight physics? Anyway, this is not a big deal since you just deal with the torque, whether it's right or left. Anyway, the direction of the torque may not be the reason for your problem. All I can say is that my pedals turn the rudder the way they're supposed to. If you check the aircraft in outside view you can confirm the direction of movement.

Guest Annihilannic

Thanks for the reply. I can't say I've ever noticed any torque in either direction in FU3. Is it more noticeable in certain planes? I mostly fly the Cessna and Renegade. I also notice little difference between having co-ordinated rudder on and off in the Cessna.I don't really have a "problem" as such, I'm certain it's behaving as designed, i.e. the plane yaws in the same direction as the twist. I'd just like to have the option to reverse the rudder axis as it feels more correct to me to twist the stick in the direction you push the pedals in a real plane.

Torque, coordinated rudder and prop pitch controll can be turned on or off in the main aircraft menu. The easy choices will be no torque, coordinated rudder on and automatic controll of propeller. The torque is quite noticeable when you start a take-off roll in all propeller aircraft. The reason is simple -- the engine/propeller turns in one direction and this will tend to twist the aircraft in the opposite direction. It's a major issue in high-power light piston aircraft as the Mustang or the GeeBee. Unless you have a proper means of rudder control you'll go "torque off" when attempting to fly these.Your twist stick seems to move the rudder in the right direction but you'd rather twist it clockwise to get left rudder, right? It should be a simple question of reversing the controller axis but I don't know how to go about that. Anyone else knows?