Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

Can someone explain this thing to me?

There's no such thing as a stupid question, right?My real time flying experience with instrument navigation is a bit on the short side.I am currently flying DC-3's with DC-Airways virtual airline. There is a particular instrument that I know part of what it does but not a clue as to the rest of it's functions. And if you've followed any of my previous posts, you know me; if there's a button or switch, I've got to know what it does. Remember that pesky cockpit lamp? ;)The instrument in question is this one:http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/...haroah42/11.JPGThis is the setting where I normally leave it and when using VOR, the top window gives me distance to or from the beacon.The other settings though, I have no clue and if they're something useful, I'd sure like to know about it.http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/...haroah42/12.JPGhttp://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/...haroah42/13.JPGhttp://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/...haroah42/14.JPGThis last photo shows it with the switch in the VOR position but with the test button pressed.Your insight on this particular goody will be most appreciated.Sincerely,Heather

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Heather, that is the Sperry Autopilot. I don't use it, so can't help you; when I fly the DC-3, I usually fly VFR (VFR = Verify Flight Returned (to land that is)). :-halo

Not having the DC-3 myself, but having run across a similar gauge in the real world...Looks like an Area Navigation system, or "ARNAV" which allows for the VOR station to be electronically "moved" so many miles in particular directions (bearing and miles). Kinda handy on old time RNAV approaches and such.Can you change the bottom digits or do they always read "zero"?Could be, could be not.......?Timothy

Heather,Here is the section from the R4D FAQ, unfamiliar gauges section,,I have also emailed you the original DC3 version 2 manual for FS98 which details the RNAV function.JohnDC3-024"What is that instrument next to the flap control, just below the clock, and what do all the readouts and knobs do?" This instrument has odometer type readouts which, from top to bottom, are the DME 1 expressed in nautical miles and tenths, the Bearing Indicator for OBI 1 in degrees, and the DME 2 in nautical miles and tenths. Rotating the knob beside the second readout will rotate the direction ring of the OBI, and the reverse is also true. Tip: Whichever of these two knobs you use to adjust the OBI, the digital readout on this gauge will give you a more accurate indication of the radial to which you are tuned than the OBI's small scale. The test button and knob will operate the red and yellow lights, but perform no other function. The actual instrument in the original plane is an RNAV and we did not get the programming for it done, although we had once hoped to. If you care to read all about how the real RNAV in #819 works you can find this information in the Manual for version 2 of the R4D. (All the previous version manuals are on the donationware CD in the folder v1to3doc)

Thanks Rob, very much appreciated. Going to have to play with it now.;)

I got to thinking about my last reply to this thread and felt very guilty. It looks like it could be misconstrued that I was only thankful to one person for their help. If it sounded that way, please accept my apology.I appreciate ANY and ALL advice that is given when I post a question here at AVSIM. Since I started visiting AVSIM on a daily basis, I have not once encountered anyone less than a gentleman. The least I can do is be a lady and professional in return.My thanks goes out to all of you.Sincerely,Heather Sherman