Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thrakete

Changed Viewpoint

My first impression of X-plane V9 a few weeks ago was pretty much on the negative side, and I made a couple of posts to that effect. My conclusion was that it was "different" and good enough for an occasional short break from FSX, but really not in the same class.Guess what? Now that my FSX installation is working smoothly, I find that I am getting pretty much burned out on the flying part of FSX, and this with no real changes apparently pending for another 2 years or so. I am still spending some time in FSX Flight Dynamics and learning how to use some of the developer oriented programs, but I have pretty much started using X-plane with the GA models for most of my "flying".I have regressed 10 years and spent a big part of the last week learning all over again how to fly a C172 simulator, how to operate the Garmin 430, learning the X-Plane version of the C172 autopilot, etc. I can't say whether the X-Plane experience is more realistic, but it is harder to master and therefore more interesting to me now.The number and type of variables, weather parameters, special effects, etc. available to the user in X-plane is another area I have just begun to recognize. I like the realistic thunderstorms that track what is actually happening on NWS Radar displays, the surprise bird strikes, hail damage to my windshield, etc.I can't say that I am impressed by the hot air balloons or whatever they are sticking up all over.While it's a long way from it's full potential, IMHO X-Plane gets more interesting if you stop trying to operate it like Flight Simulator and dig deeper into it.Regards, Thrakete

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!