Sign in to follow this  

Radar Contact and PSS747

I am not a pilot by education. But, I would like to sim as close to as it is in real life as possible with what we have available on computer today. Currently I am using Radar Contact 2.2 and PSS747 at the same time. My question to those who are experienced in real aviation is, when do you turn the aircraft over to LNAV and VNAV after you takeoff during an ATC controlled flight. For example, I have found with Radar Contact, that the controller will tell me to climb to a higher altitude some time after takeoff. I set the altitude, but some times depending on where I am in he 747's clmib sequence, the aircraft may wait until it reaches its speed setting before it climbs, which means that the aircraft controller yells at me for not climbing. I also find that below 10,000, if I am in VNAV I overshoot the 250kts restriction, and I get yelled at for that. Sometimes, also, RC will not allow you to descend for approach when the FMC tells you its time, so you end up too high at the 40 mile crossing, which ends up getting you another rear chewing. So I guess what I am really asking, is when you have ATC assigned altitudes and speeds, when do you go to autopilot, and how do you use the autopilot during ATC controlled climbs and decents? Right now I feel like and I am winging it, and it isn't realistic

Guest Scott Campbell

Scott,In the real world you will be given certain altitudes and speeds and expects for any number of reason, ranging from traffic to weather to routing to just because it's Tuesday.You can hand the plane over to RNAV and VNAV in cruise, when you are comfortably at altitude, but until then, you may have to manually change altitudes and speeds through the FMS. ATC does it's best to accommodate you, but sometimes it's not possible.As for the time before ATC yells at you, that has been adjusted in V3. It is a little quick in v2. The best I can suggest is to decrease the climb rate so you are at speed before your next step climb. Generally, you will be able to do a straight climb.Climbing and Descending requires a lot of pilot attention. What the FMS says is irrelevant to ATC, although again they will try to accommodate you. You can make adjustments to the FMS as you get instructions. On the descent, you can request lower from Center when the FMS says you should start descent. Also, when Center gives you the first PD (Pilot's Discretion) descent, make sure you are already heading down to your crossing altitude, which is a given to be 10,000' or 15,000' given the altitude of the airport.