Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

O/T Audio compression query

Guest abent

As my banner suggest..hmmm...RC guys, I'm trying to make create my own cabin announcements and the files I make are really large. I thought since you guys must know a lot about it, you might be able to recommend some software, preferably free }( that I could use to compress these audio files.Sorry to post this question here, it's just I figured you guys would know.Adam

i use sound forge, and i think scott does too. it's the only wav editor that allows batch operations, and WE need batch operations. if anyone else has a suggestion, we're all ears :-)jd

Guest Scott Campbell

Yep, I use Sound Forge.You can use Sound Recorder. It's a tedious process, but if you don't have a lot of files, it may suit you.Load your wav, click File/Properties. On the bottom is "Choose From" and "Convert Now". Click "Convert Now". Select "Microsoft ADPCM" from the Format dropdown menu and whatever attributes you want. Click "OK" twice. Then click File/Save As.. and save as a new file.Every time you convert a file you have to reselect the format and attributes. The MS guys couldn't be bothered to remember what your selections were the first time.Like I said, it's tedious, but it's free.Creative includes Creative Wave Studio with its Live! and Audigy cards. Don't know what it can do, but it should have come with your card if you have a newer SB of any sort.Some CD burners come with a package like Nero or other CD burning software that usual includes a wav and/or MP3 editor.A lot of computer manufacturers packages also come with editors. Dell comes with some cheesy demo ones, but free. I think some XP Pro packages have an editor as well.Look around your system and see what you have or what came with your hardware.If you recorded the wavs, I'd imagine you have something that might be able to convert or save in a different format. Since MS ADPCM is common, you shouldn't have a problem.Otherwise, do a search for "free wav editor" (no quotes) on the web. There are a lot of places advertising freebies or limited-use shareware.