Sign in to follow this  
Guest lvp0412

90 degree turns

Guest lvp0412

Is there any magic fix to the 90 degree turn that ATC gives you right before being handed off to Approach? Every time I'm getting handed off to Approach, I get this obnoxious 90 degree turn to the left or right for no reason.LVP (KCVG)

i'm guessing you didn't make your crossing restriction. are you above 10000 when this happens?jd

Guest lvp0412

I do pay attention to the crossing restrictions on the STARs into KDEN, but RC doesn't recognize them. I guess RC has it's own crossing restrictions. As far as "decend and maintain 10,000, I need you down in 30 miles or less", I think I'm making that. You think that may be the problem? I could try a steeper decent.I'll be heading 070, then get this turn to 340 just before hand-off to approach. Usually, I just ignore it because the 1st thing approach does is turn me back to 070, for example.LVP

altitude restrictions aren't in the .pln file, so i don't pay attention to themthe "decend and maintain 10,000, I need you down in 30 miles or less" is a crossing restriction, and you are expected to adhere to it. if not, you are turned 90 degrees.are you resetting your altimeter to local pressure when you descend through 18000 (assuming 180 is your transition level)?jd

Guest lvp0412

Yeah, I've got everything right. I tried a 2000 fpm descent, instead of my usual 1500 fpm, and it seemed to be OK, but it's hard to slow this A319 down. I was handed off on a long left base to the downwind, and taken straight in and turned downwind without incident. Must have been the altitude thing. Thanks for the info! I asked my wife about this, but she just shrugged her shoulders and told me to take out the garbage....LVP (KCVG)