Sign in to follow this  
Guest Skywalker

QNH calls.... realistic handling

Guest Skywalker

JD,I would like to handle the setting of the transition levels correctly and therefore without the "magic B key". I use PSS aircraft and get a flashing alt setting in the HSI depending on the level I set in the FMGS. Apparently this indicates the level from where anything above i.e. 18000ft standard setting (1013,4 or 29.92) remains. As Switzerland uses 6000ft instead of 18000ft I would have to use a different transition level. However, I still get QNH calls above 6000ft as RC probably doesn't support anything else than FS default settings (18000ft). In order to use RC correctly would I have set my transition level in the FMGS to 18000 regardless of what level i.e. Switzerland uses. I hope my query isn't too confusing...Thank you very much!!Sam

Guest RickT

What is your Transition Level set to on Radar Contacts Controller info page? The default is set to 18000 ft.

oh, but we do!controllers page, transition levelstransition level of 18000 is entered as 180, transition level of 6000 is entered as 60what are your settings?jd

Sam,If the Transition Altitude in Switzerland is 6000ft you need to go to the RC3 Controller Info page and enter a Transition Level of 70. After doing this, RC will use altitudes up to and including 6000ft and Flight Levels from FL70 upwards.Pete

Guest Skywalker

@JDArrrrghhh.... I had always set 6000 in the controller info page and assumed that it might not work with third party aircrafts. Well, now I realize that it shoud have read 60 not 6000!! Thank you very much! I know... RTFM! ;-) @PeteThank you, Pete! Am I understanding you correctly that I always would have to add 1000 ft to get accurate calls en-route?Sam

Guest Scott Campbell

For the purposes of RC, yes. In the real world the Transition Altitude can vary. But for FS/RC purposes, just use the listed Transition Altitude +1000 div 100 for the RC settings.

Guest Skywalker

I see. Thank you very much for your kind explanations!Sam

Am I understanding you correctly that I always would have to add 1000 ft to get accurate calls en-route?"Correct, Sam. The figures published in the charts for each country or individual airport (such as the 6000ft you quote for Switzerland) are actually Transition Altitudes - unfortunately, RC has been programmed to require the input of a Transition Level.The best workaround to accurately replicate the system ouside the US is to take the published Transition Altitude, add 1000ft then convert the result to Flight Level format. For example, published TA 3000ft - enter 40 in the "Trans Lev" box on the Controller Info page; published TA 6000ft enter 70; published TA 10,000ft enter 110 and so on.This wouldn't work in the real world but it works a treat in RC. Give it a try.BestPete

Guest Skywalker

Now, I got it right finally! Thank you very much, Pete!!After performing so many flight with wrong baro settings I really appreciate your kind support!!Sam